Premed 101 Forums

Part-time work while in dental school?

Guest YYCdentboi

Guest summervirus

I'm not in dental school but I did take many of the same courses as the dental students for the first two years here at the UofA. School work can be pretty intense. I don't recommend taking a job during the school year. If you need money, it's a much better decision to look into getting some loans.

Guest YYCdentboi

Thanks summervirus - have the loans & line of credit already, but just looking for an income to pay off the interest on the LOC...Prolly just looking for a weekend serving job.

Guest toothy jr

better to have a bigger LOC, so that you can borrow money to pay off the interest! (not kidding) Also don't count out government loans/bursaries and summer jobs. Trying to balance work with school in med/dent is risky.

Guest sweetyork

Hi,

I am a second year UofT dent student. For the first two (or even three) months you can get away with working one day during the weekend, but I don't recommend it. The reason why you have a little bit of more time during the first two months is that you will be given none once the 2nd semester begins. So if you fall behind before the 2nd semester, you will have a very, very difficult time catching up. Remember, you can only give a supplement for two courses max (at UofT). If you are worried about the loan payments, don't. UofT (and most schools) gives you money, on top of any bursaries or scholarships, for your interest payments for the four years. Besides, when you open up your own practice, the loan will be so huge that saving a couple of hundred dollars will seem meaningless. Hope this help.

Archived