Premed 101 Forums

Wait list 2013

I think that the weather in both SJ, NB and SJ, Nfld are both cloudy, rainy and cold pretty much all the time..this is Canada after all hahah.

I have heard by many it is noticeably worse as it is further North, but yeah very true, we are in Canada. I was born in Virginia, I stand the cold but I am not a fan lol

Also, does anyone know if NB still held 10 seats this year (I know we are supposed to decrease sometime)? did PEI increase? I was just looking on the MUN site and some of the planning looked like PEI would be increasing for 2013 admissions and it was hard to tell in the graph if NB stayed the same or was smaller? I also heard it was a hard year for NB, no one has really explained other than thinking there were more interviews but perhaps it was because the # of seats decreased as it doesn't seem there was an abnormal amount of interviews.

It definitely looks like they put a lot of work into planning for expanding the medical school, research and the new curriculum.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have heard by many it is noticeably worse as it is further North, but yeah very true, we are in Canada. I was born in Virginia, I stand the cold but I am not a fan lol

Also, does anyone know if NB still held 10 seats this year (I know we are supposed to decrease sometime)? did PEI increase? I was just looking on the MUN site and some of the planning looked like PEI would be increasing for 2013 admissions and it was hard to tell in the graph if NB stayed the same or was smaller? I also heard it was a hard year for NB, no one has really explained other than thinking there were more interviews but perhaps it was because the # of seats decreased as it doesn't seem there was an abnormal amount of interviews.

It definitely looks like they put a lot of work into planning for expanding the medical school, research and the new curriculum.

I'm not sure about new numbers of seats this year or in upcoming years, but as far as I know, provincial government purchases seats for their respective provinces. I think there are still ten for NB as of now. So if PEI were to get more seats they would need to purchase them and it wouldn't be directly related to a decrease in NB seats. And I have also heard that this was a hard year for NB, I'm thinking that there were a few more people applying than usual, a lot of strong applicants, and probably some carry-over from unsuccessful applicants in previous years. (Correct me if any of this info is wrong). I am also wondering if new seats will be added at either MUN or Dal since the number of applicants seems to be increasing and we are facing physician shortages.

I'm not sure about new numbers of seats this year or in upcoming years, but as far as I know, provincial government purchases seats for their respective provinces. I think there are still ten for NB as of now. So if PEI were to get more seats they would need to purchase them and it wouldn't be directly related to a decrease in NB seats. And I have also heard that this was a hard year for NB, I'm thinking that there were a few more people applying than usual, a lot of strong applicants, and probably some carry-over from unsuccessful applicants in previous years. (Correct me if any of this info is wrong). I am also wondering if new seats will be added at either MUN or Dal since the number of applicants seems to be increasing and we are facing physician shortages.

I have heard from MUN planning (official documents) that there will be a decrease in the amount of seats NB funds at MUN due to DMNB. I am not sure if they will decide to not decrease the seats but PEI plans on buying more and it was from the NB seats they were supposed to take from.

With more and more applicants it is hard to say, perhaps more people are just trying to 'throw their hat in the ring'

12 are under

contract (New Brunswick: 10 and PEI: 2) with 8 students from the rest of

Canada/International. It is important that a few places remain for students from the

rest of Canada as some students from Newfoundland and Labrador are accepted

each year into medical schools in other parts of Canada. In 2009, the 10 contract

positions funded by New Brunswick will be reduced to six whereas the two funded

contract positions from PEI will increase to four in 2009 and six in 2011 thus

maintaining the total contract positions for New Brunswick and PEI at 12.

This excerpt is from this plan:

http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/dc4a176f-71b4-4f33-bf9b-014a9e52a57f/MEDICINE-EXPANSION-PLANNING.aspx

They have been behind schedule on most fronts, but I have not seen anything yet that states NB will keep 10 indefinitely or increase it. Even though this is dated 2008 there are no new plan documents like this I have seen and I was hearing it will be decreased besides this document. A big increase for NL however.

This is an update for 2012 which in one graph shows PEI increasing for 2013, hard to tell if they have decreased NB, at least not by much.

http://www.med.mun.ca/Medicine/Leadership/Strategic-Planning/2012-update.aspx

This one in particular: Which actually doesn't really look like we are losing any seats as of right now, and hopefully we will not.

http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/82afcc4a-d6af-46a5-93fb-f65dfa1020a5/ProgressReport_2pager_web.aspx

PEI is a definite increase though and their increase was supposed to mean our decrease, again hopefully we don't decrease.

I've looked through the Faculty of Medicine's web site and there are some details regarding the new curriculum. It seems as though the renewal process was quite extensive. Personally, I am very excited about it. Also, the new facilities will be a nice touch. Has anyone had a chance to see them yet?

I have heard that the new facilities are mainly for the genetics department at the Faculty of Medicine. I think the bottom floor may have some patient simulation rooms for MD students. This, of course, is just based on rumors.

I have heard that the new facilities are mainly for the genetics department at the Faculty of Medicine. I think the bottom floor may have some patient simulation rooms for MD students. This, of course, is just based on rumors.

Very excited, I am very interested in becoming involved with research there.

Dal results out, I have an interview with Mac but it looks like MUN will be my home next year! Soo excited!! Planning housing what are good/bad areas?

I've seen floor plans for the (first?/second? floor) of the new building on a poster partway along the "temporary" entrance, so I can speak to some of the rumors. It looks like there are a substantial number of standardized patient rooms (15-20), along with the associated training facilities and a few conference rooms. The remainder of the area seems to be additional lecture facilities, as well as places for the new patient simulators. Those of you who went through the interview tour in the past couple of years have probably seen a few of the older models.

Planning housing what are good/bad areas?

Do you have a car? Also are you looking for any amenities (close to shopping, preschools, late night drug access?)

I've seen floor plans for the (first?/second? floor) of the new building on a poster partway along the "temporary" entrance, so I can speak to some of the rumors. It looks like there are a substantial number of standardized patient rooms (15-20), along with the associated training facilities and a few conference rooms. The remainder of the area seems to be additional lecture facilities, as well as places for the new patient simulators. Those of you who went through the interview tour in the past couple of years have probably seen a few of the older models.

Do you have a car? Also are you looking for any amenities (close to shopping, preschools, late night drug access?)

I do have a car! My wife is the pre-school, but being close couldn't hurt as she wants to start her life beyond the kids soon, maybe Memorial? close to grocery/wal-mart? are we talking drug stores? haha. I have seen things in airport heights, any good? unfortunately we need a big place $$$$$, good thing tuition is cheap. Should we expecting more information from MUN soon about acceptances?

I do have a car! My wife is the pre-school, but being close couldn't hurt as she wants to start her life beyond the kids soon, maybe Memorial? close to grocery/wal-mart? are we talking drug stores? haha. I have seen things in airport heights, any good? unfortunately we need a big place $$$$$, good thing tuition is cheap. Should we expecting more information from MUN soon about acceptances?

Having a car is half the battle. I would recommend staying as close to MUN as possible (especially when doing night shifts).

Airport Heights is a great area and is not too far (there is a daycare there). I really love downtown becuase of the convenience location-wise and the houses are quite charming. Anywhere along Kenmount (kenmount terrace houses) is also a great subdivion with a lot if rental properties.

Start looking on kijiji now!

I might almost recommend renting for a month or two until you get the feel for the city, unless you're quite sure on what you want. Airport Heights is a very safe choice, about 10-20 years old, and quite family friendly from what I hear. During high school I worked at one of city rec programs up there, and I found it to be quite a nice community. A big perk for me was its immediate proxiity to many wonderful trails going into the woods. You are also about a five minute drive from Stavanger, which is one of the major shopping centres in the city.

There are many neighbourhoods, none of which would really be described as bad, but many have different vibes. I guess what I mean by that is a lot of the downtown and central areas (Rabbittown, Georgetown) are going to have some very wealthy households, and some very impoverished households. Having grown up in one of the sub-urbs near to AH, and having lived in the downtown for a little while during undergrad, I can certainly say that there was more violence and crime in those areas (and correspondingly more police patrols). It wasnt to the point that I ever felt unsafe. On the other hand, there is a lot of charm in central/DT. Certainly more local businesses and bakeries/small businesses in the older areas. Really comes down to your priorities.

Unfortunately, housing prices are at a bit of premium right now, due to the economy. Its not unusual to see prices in the 300-400K range for something newer in one of the nicer areas.

12 are under

contract (New Brunswick: 10 and PEI: 2) with 8 students from the rest of

Canada/International. It is important that a few places remain for students from the

rest of Canada as some students from Newfoundland and Labrador are accepted

each year into medical schools in other parts of Canada. In 2009, the 10 contract

positions funded by New Brunswick will be reduced to six whereas the two funded

contract positions from PEI will increase to four in 2009 and six in 2011 thus

maintaining the total contract positions for New Brunswick and PEI at 12.

This excerpt is from this plan:

http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/dc4a176f-71b4-4f33-bf9b-014a9e52a57f/MEDICINE-EXPANSION-PLANNING.aspx

They have been behind schedule on most fronts, but I have not seen anything yet that states NB will keep 10 indefinitely or increase it. Even though this is dated 2008 there are no new plan documents like this I have seen and I was hearing it will be decreased besides this document. A big increase for NL however.

This is an update for 2012 which in one graph shows PEI increasing for 2013, hard to tell if they have decreased NB, at least not by much.

http://www.med.mun.ca/Medicine/Leadership/Strategic-Planning/2012-update.aspx

This one in particular: Which actually doesn't really look like we are losing any seats as of right now, and hopefully we will not.

http://www.med.mun.ca/getdoc/82afcc4a-d6af-46a5-93fb-f65dfa1020a5/ProgressReport_2pager_web.aspx

PEI is a definite increase though and their increase was supposed to mean our decrease, again hopefully we don't decrease.

PEI has 4 seats at mun. We have had four for a few years now. We were supposed to increase to 6 at some point but that hasn't happened. Last year there was talk of the government getting rid of our seats at mun because most of the grads from mun have not been returning to the island. There had also been talk of them requiring PEI applicants to sign a contract saying they'd return to PEI, but that hasn't happened. From what I've heard our seats likely won't go above 4 in the near future because the government isn't willing to spend more money when they haven't been getting a return.

Having a car is half the battle. I would recommend staying as close to MUN as possible (especially when doing night shifts).

Airport Heights is a great area and is not too far (there is a daycare there). I really love downtown becuase of the convenience location-wise and the houses are quite charming. Anywhere along Kenmount (kenmount terrace houses) is also a great subdivion with a lot if rental properties.

Start looking on kijiji now!

THANK YOU!! My wife and I have been looking but now our decision is made for us we can really look and contact people.. we were thinking moving for August 1, is that early enough? I think July 1 would be too difficult. We will need movers to move our apartment full of stuff, yikes.

I might almost recommend renting for a month or two until you get the feel for the city, unless you're quite sure on what you want. Airport Heights is a very safe choice, about 10-20 years old, and quite family friendly from what I hear. During high school I worked at one of city rec programs up there, and I found it to be quite a nice community. A big perk for me was its immediate proxiity to many wonderful trails going into the woods. You are also about a five minute drive from Stavanger, which is one of the major shopping centres in the city.

There are many neighbourhoods, none of which would really be described as bad, but many have different vibes. I guess what I mean by that is a lot of the downtown and central areas (Rabbittown, Georgetown) are going to have some very wealthy households, and some very impoverished households. Having grown up in one of the sub-urbs near to AH, and having lived in the downtown for a little while during undergrad, I can certainly say that there was more violence and crime in those areas (and correspondingly more police patrols). It wasnt to the point that I ever felt unsafe. On the other hand, there is a lot of charm in central/DT. Certainly more local businesses and bakeries/small businesses in the older areas. Really comes down to your priorities.

Unfortunately, housing prices are at a bit of premium right now, due to the economy. Its not unusual to see prices in the 300-400K range for something newer in one of the nicer areas.

THANK YOU! Yes, we will probably have to rent. Was thinking a mini home but those prices are pretty crazy too! We have no money, only debt. and soon more debt lol.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm there really hasn't seemed to be any movement on the NB wait list at all... except for one person. For those of you who have been accepted to MUN have you made your final decision yet.. or are you waiting for Ontario Schools, and/or still considering Dal? From this Forum it seems as though there are only 3 confirmed NB people going to MUN... yet no movement!! Eeeekk

Hmmm there really hasn't seemed to be any movement on the NB wait list at all... except for one person. For those of you who have been accepted to MUN have you made your final decision yet.. or are you waiting for Ontario Schools, and/or still considering Dal? From this Forum it seems as though there are only 3 confirmed NB people going to MUN... yet no movement!! Eeeekk

I know of 7 that have confirmed MUN. Hope this helps and best of luck.

with most other schools across Canada releasing their admissions decisions today or tomorrow, would those who have been accepted to others schools and plan on accepting that offer (and thus declining their spot at MUN) mind posting their intent here? it would be nice to get an idea of how much the waitlist is/is going to move.. us wait-listers would appreciate it!

with most other schools across Canada releasing their admissions decisions today or tomorrow, would those who have been accepted to others schools and plan on accepting that offer (and thus declining their spot at MUN) mind posting their intent here? it would be nice to get an idea of how much the waitlist is/is going to move.. us wait-listers would appreciate it!

Good luck medicalmissy, I was rooting for you.

Archived