Premed 101 Forums

Wait list 2013

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't heard of anybody in the NB pool that has been straight rejected post-interview. I hope I'm wrong but if it's true, I'd estimate the waitlist to hold 30-50 applicants. I'm not all that optimistic of my chances of getting off the waitlist. My full attention has been turned towards Dal.

I actually have a few friends who got rejected post interview, so I cannot imagine it would be as long as 50 people... hoping not at least!

Were 50 people even interviewed? There were not that many at all on Nov. 9. I could be completely wrong but I was thinking 30-40 max (closer to 30?)interviewed from NB. They have posted on their site 70ish people from NB apply (some NBers only apply to Dal) Then they trim the applicants for interviews. Also I have not heard of anyone who was straight rejected post-interview. Best of luck guys :)

I've been trying to work that out too. On Nov 9th there were 3 time spots for NB applicants, approximately 12 applicants per slot, so that would be around 30 applicants on Nov 9th and then I'd say a similar number (maybe a bit less) the week before on Nov 2nd. So I imagine around 60 were interviewed. I've heard this was a large year for NB applicants.

I've been trying to work that out too. On Nov 9th there were 3 time spots for NB applicants, approximately 12 applicants per slot, so that would be around 30 applicants on Nov 9th and then I'd say a similar number (maybe a bit less) the week before on Nov 2nd. So I imagine around 60 were interviewed. I've heard this was a large year for NB applicants.

Oh wow, thanks for the clarification. I thought that first week there were a lot of NBers but that second week there were quite a bit less... wrong. That is a lot to interview, I wonder how many applied this year? I thought PEI and NFLD applicants were also interviewing on Nov. 9 ? I have heard some NFLD say they interviewed Nov. 9.

As much as I feel terrible for the candidates who may have been rejected post-interview, I hope that you're right in saying that at least a handful have been officially crossed off. To be honest, if I knew I was at the bottom of the waitlist I'd rather be rejected than have to wait.

As for total number interviewed, I'd say minimum 40 max 60. I was interviewed Nov 2nd. Most interviewees that day were from NB with a handful of PEI and OOP. I'd estimate around 25 NB candidates that day. How many would you say interviewed on the 9th? Are these the only two NB days?

I apologize about the pessimism in my last post. I wish luck to those on the waitlist and to everyone who applied to other schools. Hopefully we'll all have seats come September 2013.

Edit: Oops, I missed your post saying you thought around 30 NB applicants interviewed on the 9th. I guess that means roughly 50 people interviewed from NB. So the waitlist would be around 40 minus the small number of people who may have been rejected post-interview. So by August maybe something like 4-8/30 ~1/6 of us will get a call. Not bad.

As much as I feel terrible for the candidates who may have been rejected post-interview, I hope that you're right in saying that at least a handful have been officially crossed off. To be honest, if I knew I was at the bottom of the waitlist I'd rather be rejected than have to wait.

As for total number interviewed, I'd say minimum 40 max 60. I was interviewed Nov 2nd. Most interviewees that day were from NB with a handful of PEI and OOP. I'd estimate around 25 NB candidates that day. How many would you say interviewed on the 9th? Are these the only two NB days?

I apologize about the pessimism in my last post. I wish luck to those on the waitlist and to everyone who applied to other schools. Hopefully we'll all have seats come September 2013.

I believe those were the only NB days and I thought there was only 10-20 from NB on Nov. 9.. perhaps not though?

tbh I was worried this year would have <10 seats NB

I believe those were the only NB days and I thought there was only 10-20 from NB on Nov. 9.. perhaps not though?

tbh I was worried this year would have <10 seats NB

If you're right, than maybe there were less interviewees than I thought. I was one of the lucky ones who saw their interview evaluation. On it I was identified by a number. I assume that number started with the first interviewed. I was a Nov 2nd interview so my number only really helps me calculate how many people I think passed on the 2nd. Anyone interview on the 9th see their evaluation? Care to estimate the total number interviewed?

If you're right, than maybe there were less interviewees than I thought. I was one of the lucky ones who saw their interview evaluation. On it I was identified by a number. I assume that number started with the first interviewed. I was a Nov 2nd interview so my number only really helps me calculate how many people I think passed on the 2nd. Anyone interview on the 9th see their evaluation? Care to estimate the total number interviewed?

I PMd you (10 char)

I understand the reasons why the information should not have been released but I loved seeing that eval!

Hopefully with some of us working together we can further speculate on how many are waitlisted.

The numbers do not seem to be in a specific order, perhaps pre-interview ranking but it is uncertain.

Edit: Oops, I missed your post saying you thought around 30 NB applicants interviewed on the 9th. I guess that means roughly 50 people interviewed from NB. So the waitlist would be around 40 minus the small number of people who may have been rejected post-interview. So by August maybe something like 4-8/30 ~1/6 of us will get a call. Not bad.

I think there were around 25 of us from PEI on Nov 2nd (give or take 2 or 3), might help you guys with figuring out your numbers.

Hey DocAndy,

I'm also an NB waitlister. A friend of mine who is a MED1 at MUN thinks that there were about 30-35 interviewed from NB, but he isn't 100% certain. I know of 8 other interviewees from NB that were waitlisted other than myself. In previous years, it has been 15-20 people in length.

Thanks for the info! I'm wondering what movement we will see with the new med school in saint john. I know that a lot of students who were accepted to both MUN and UNBSJ last year chose Dal-SJ because of the small class size, and the reduced travel cost and cost of living. Any comments on MUN vs. Dal?

Thanks for the info! I'm wondering what movement we will see with the new med school in saint john. I know that a lot of students who were accepted to both MUN and UNBSJ last year chose Dal-SJ because of the small class size, and the reduced travel cost and cost of living. Any comments on MUN vs. Dal?

After the controversy that Dal faced a couple years ago.... I would go with MUN.

The cost of living in St. John's is pretty cheap, tuition at 6250, and great cohesive work environment.

I also talked to some of the founders of the new curriculum at MUN, due to be implemented in 2013, and it looks really awesome.

You follow a hypothetical family for your time in class and help solve their day-to-day problems.

I also have family in SJ - so I am biased :P

After the controversy that Dal faced a couple years ago.... I would go with MUN.

The cost of living in St. John's is pretty cheap, tuition at 6250, and great cohesive work environment.

I also talked to some of the founders of the new curriculum at MUN, due to be implemented in 2013, and it looks really awesome.

You follow a hypothetical family for your time in class and help solve their day-to-day problems.

I also have family in SJ - so I am biased :P

What else do you know about the new curriculum? I asked my interviewers but they didn't know any details.

What else do you know about the new curriculum? I asked my interviewers but they didn't know any details.

Mostly that it is going to be a more problem-solving based approach, rather than the the traditional, sit down and read, read, memorize, memorize.

I think they are also involving community care (etc) into the curriculum earlier. If you could find some 1yrs/2yrs they could tell you better.

It is my understanding that they did some test on these classes to see how they liked the new style prior to putting it into full swing!

Mostly that it is going to be a more problem-solving based approach, rather than the the traditional, sit down and read, read, memorize, memorize.

I think they are also involving community care (etc) into the curriculum earlier. If you could find some 1yrs/2yrs they could tell you better.

It is my understanding that they did some test on these classes to see how they liked the new style prior to putting it into full swing!

I am excited about MUN and the new curriculum but I have to mention there are some concerns with this being the first year of full implementation. It could take time for kinks to be worked out etc. Also hoping the new curriculum helps when preparing for the MCCQE..? I have to say I have heard some great things though and am super excited, even if I don't have a choice. The inexpensive tuition is great although for a family of 4 housing will be much more expensive in St. Johns than it will be in Saint John, possibly enough to make up for the tuition difference. Also, it is cold there. I loved St. John's though and the new facilities...

I've looked through the Faculty of Medicine's web site and there are some details regarding the new curriculum. It seems as though the renewal process was quite extensive. Personally, I am very excited about it. Also, the new facilities will be a nice touch. Has anyone had a chance to see them yet?

I am excited about MUN and the new curriculum but I have to mention there are some concerns with this being the first year of full implementation. It could take time for kinks to be worked out etc. Also hoping the new curriculum helps when preparing for the MCCQE..? I have to say I have heard some great things though and am super excited, even if I don't have a choice. The inexpensive tuition is great although for a family of 4 housing will be much more expensive in St. Johns than it will be in Saint John, possibly enough to make up for the tuition difference. Also, it is cold there. I loved St. John's though and the new facilities...

Although the curriculum does sound really interesting that was definitely one of my reservations with MUN. In a program as important as medicine I don't know how I would feel about being the first class through. Is it cold... I don't think that's even a question in any atlantic canadian province ha.

Although the curriculum does sound really interesting that was definitely one of my reservations with MUN. In a program as important as medicine I don't know how I would feel about being the first class through a new curriculum. With regards to Dal (as someone pointed out earlier) I don't really think their "mess up" has any bearing on the Saint John Campus, where there is a completely separate faculty and standard of education. However, could be my bias towards my home school of course

Thats fair but to be honest, I would imagine the school is quite confident in the curriculum if they are ready to implement it. Regardless, I don't think the overall quality of education is going to be an issue at any Canadian school.

Although the curriculum does sound really interesting that was definitely one of my reservations with MUN. In a program as important as medicine I don't know how I would feel about being the first class through. Is it cold... I don't think that's even a question in any atlantic canadian province ha.

yeah really, cold, colder. ahaha

Thats fair but to be honest, I would imagine the school is quite confident in the curriculum if they are ready to implement it. Regardless, I don't think the overall quality of education is going to be an issue at any Canadian school.

I am pretty confident everything will be great!, there just a few concerns. The old curriculum MUN used I believe was advertised as getting some of the higher scores for a medical school in Canada on the standard exams. The new facilities will be awesome! :D

Archived