Premed 101 Forums

Best classes at Marianopolis

Guest tryhardnumber1

Guest tryhardnumber1

Hi everyone,

I'm going to attend Marianopolis next year and I have a lot of questions.

First of all, evidently, i'm trying to get the highest R-score.

I applied for the Honours Health Science program. But, people are telling me it's too hard to get good grades. What are your two cents on that? Do they calculate the Rscore according to the Honours class or all the students enrolled in science at Marianopolis?

Then, I'm wondering which courses are the easiest to get very good grades (90+), especially for the complementary and the humanities classes.

I know German well. Should I chose German I? What about the class ''Why rome'' and ''medical ethics''?

I also wondered if I should skip Topics in Mathematics. I have these very high grades (90+) in high school. Might going to Calculus I directly be too hard (I have almost no knowledge of calculus)? Will it bring the R-score down? Will they put me with other students from Commerce or CALL?

Finally, for the gym classes, my cardio is very bad. I have minor asthma and this is a bummer when it comes down to running or playing any sport that requires running. Do you know any class that's not too harsh on the cardio for the first two semesters and in which we can get good grades?

Thank you so much in advance.

:confused::):confused::D

Hi everyone,

I applied for the Honours Health Science program. But, people are telling me it's too hard to get good grades. What are your two cents on that? Do they calculate the Rscore according to the Honours class or all the students enrolled in science at Marianopolis?

Then, I'm wondering which courses are the easiest to get very good grades (90+), especially for the complementary and the humanities classes.

I know German well. Should I chose German I? What about the class ''Why rome'' and ''medical ethics''?

I also wondered if I should skip Topics in Mathematics. I have these very high grades (90+) in high school. Might going to Calculus I directly be too hard (I have almost no knowledge of calculus)? Will it bring the R-score down? Will they put me with other students from Commerce or CALL?

Finally, for the gym classes, my cardio is very bad. I have minor asthma and this is a bummer when it comes down to running or playing any sport that requires running. Do you know any class that's not too harsh on the cardio for the first two semesters and in which we can get good grades?

Wow ok.

1. See this concerning the R score: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_score

2. Getting a high mark =/= getting a high R score. If it's a really easy class and the average is 90% (for example), then even with a 100% you might not even go over 30.0 of R score. Try to follow the hardest classes possible (following your abilities, of course).

3. Barely anyone has any knowledge of calculus when entering Cégep, so don't stress it. The course will be built with that in mind ;)

And they can put you with people from any program really, but it's a first semester class anyway, so there is no reason people from Commerce should do better than you. Plus, GENERALLY, you are put with people in your program.

4. As far as I know, all of the first Phys ed class incorporate a bunch of cardio. That being said, I don't know which classes your cégep gives, but just remember not to pick classes that seem incredibly easy (Relaxation or something for example), for the reasons I stated in (2).

protip: Think about why you want to go into that Honours program. It's not going to help you get into medicine by any mean; you will have to work harder than you would in a normal program to get the very same R-score, and admission committees couldn't care less about the prestige. BUT, if you want a more thorough science experience, yeah, it can be a good thing, and it IS possible to perform well, people do it all the time. Just think about your priorities.

Hi everyone,

:confused::):confused::D

You've applied to Honours Health Science? That's weird, because coming from Marianopolis, I thought you can only apply once you're in your first semester. Either way, honours requires you to take some enriched science classes, so maybe your midterms would influence your own average, although you will still be writing the same final exam as everybody else from your program. Yes, those midterms from enriched calculus classes might be harder, but doable nonetheless. At the end of the day, your rscore is calculated with everybody else's from your program.

My opinion is that you should not choose an easy class just for the sake of getting good grades. Therefore, choosing German I because you already know it is pretty much like wasting one of your precious complementaries where you can actually learn something for the fun of it. I know some people who did it; they did not enjoy their semester at all. As for humanities, there usually is a course calendar offered at the beginning of every school year. Check it out, look at what each course offers, and go from there.

You will be put in a cal class with science people. I had no knowledge of cal going into my first semester; a lot of people did not either and trust me, I did fine. Having cal first semester allows you to have an elective during your last semester, where you can take cool courses like astrophysics and physiology!

As for gym classes, you're graded based on your goals, your improvements, as well as your application of theory learnt in class. True, there is a bit of cardio in every class, but if you show improvement and understanding of different fitness principles, this will count more than anything else for your grades.

Relax, cegep shouldn't be that stressful. The rscore stresses out a lot of people, but since we cannot predict it, I would just try to let it go and try my best in everything. Avoid procrastinating, get involved, and you'll be fine!

Best of luck!

Archived