Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS Second Iteration 2013

My understanding is it is not nearly as structured (from our recent talk with our student affairs rep). Interviews can be pretty much anytime - there is no set interview period - now that the files are open for review.

Realistically from years past they said it still takes a bit of time to do the review so there is a relatively small wait (I was told at least a week but that was just from 2 people going through this last year).

Best of luck by the way!

From experience last year, interview invites came out about a week after file open and expect you to show up at their doorsteps a few days to a week afterwards even if it is on the other side of the country. Some programs offered skype but I am always skeptical on how much impression you can make through a poor webcam.

I really hate it when they don't send out declines at the same time. Why leave people hanging?

Given the estimate of 1500 participants in the second round, I'm going to guess that the majority of those participants are applying to Family, either as their only specialty choice or a backup specialty choice. Being conservative, I'm going to guess there are close to 1000 applicants per FM program. Since nobody seems to have this down to some automated art, I'll further the guess that they hand-address their emailed invitations to interview, and aren't about to do the same for the 950 declines.

I don't know what method the various programs use to select who to interview, especially those programs that make the decision in 48 hours after files open for review, but whatever it is has got to be supremely efficient (and perhaps not very accurate and certainly not forgiving).

Given the estimate of 1500 participants in the second round, I'm going to guess that the majority of those participants are applying to Family, either as their only specialty choice or a backup specialty choice. Being conservative, I'm going to guess there are close to 1000 applicants per FM program. Since nobody seems to have this down to some automated art, I'll further the guess that they hand-address their emailed invitations to interview, and aren't about to do the same for the 950 declines.

I don't know what method the various programs use to select who to interview, especially those programs that make the decision in 48 hours after files open for review, but whatever it is has got to be supremely efficient (and perhaps not very accurate and certainly not forgiving).

Sure but you could simply send out a bulk email to everyone saying exactly when the invites will be out by and if you don't get one by then you weren't invited - or any on of probably dozens of similar things. You don't have to hand craft anything for the people not invited. It just is polite.

bottom line is it should be down to some automated art :) A second year comp sci student could program a solution in about an hour to do this.

also the fact that carms is a major cash grab. if u wanted to apply to mac for all 4 sites that >100 bucks. and no courtesy email declining interview. :eek:

Try applying to family in the first round with doubts about where you stand among your peers. Damage this year was over $3000. I guess the peace of mind itself is worth it, but I do wish carms recognizes that certain fm programs have 10+ sites and is really unique compared to other specialties. I hope they consider a sliding fee schedules to accommodate these people.

Total payment to carms this year and last: >$5000 :(

Try applying to family in the first round with doubts about where you stand among your peers. Damage this year was over $3000. I guess the peace of mind itself is worth it, but I do wish carms recognizes that certain fm programs have 10+ sites and is really unique compared to other specialties. I hope they consider a sliding fee schedules to accommodate these people.

Total payment to carms this year and last: >$5000 :(

well ouch, that is just painful. That is just a bit silly as well.

I know they need to collect fees to keep the lights on etc, but really since all of this is just software there is no change in cost to them if you apply to one program or fifty. The fee is just a way to raise money and cause everyone not to apply to everything under the sun.

Sure but you could simply send out a bulk email to everyone saying exactly when the invites will be out by and if you don't get one by then you weren't invited - or any on of probably dozens of similar things. You don't have to hand craft anything for the people not invited. It just is polite.

bottom line is it should be down to some automated art :) A second year comp sci student could program a solution in about an hour to do this.

Oh I totally agree about what *should* be done... Just saying that doesn't seem to be how it is done in most cases.

At least Queen's FM did say, via the CaRMS program desc., that if you didn't hear by 5pm on the 15th then you already had your answer. That's better than not knowing either way. Especially when you may be having to schedule last-minute travel, etc. and can't even guess at when the interview for XYZ school might be, or when you'll be hearing whether or not you got it.

Yeah, the multiple sites per university thing has got to add up. That's a new thing... few years back when I went through it was just a few places that were doing that, and even then it was just two "sites" -- one rural/remote, and one city/regional. Is this cost an unintended side effect, or an intentional pressure to force applicants to actually choose between different sites at such an early stage? Sure it's just $30 (or whatever it is) per site but when there's that many sites...

I wonder how much financial pressure affects how applicants play the CaRMS game.

Archived