Premed 101 Forums

Backing up with family vs. 2nd iteration

Guest Onlyothernameleft

I really don't know. Part of the issue is that it's a relatively large IM program (almost as big as Mac's) at a school which has comparatively fewer students (half as many as Mac). IM isn't very competitive, and while it can be competitive getting your first choice, getting one of your top 3 is very likely, so people from Ontario east tend to stay around there. But that's really just a semi-educated guess - and this year two Dal grads will be going to Calgary for IM.

I really don't know. Part of the issue is that it's a relatively large IM program (almost as big as Mac's) at a school which has comparatively fewer students (half as many as Mac). IM isn't very competitive, and while it can be competitive getting your first choice, getting one of your top 3 is very likely, so people from Ontario east tend to stay around there. But that's really just a semi-educated guess - and this year two Dal grads will be going to Calgary for IM.

Makes sense - still a huge number left over. I am sure it will be filled up in the second round regardless.

There has been a strange phenomenon in the past 2 years in the prov of Quebec. Family med has been increasingly popular, and the urban spots are usually filled after the 1st round. As a result (I think), some universities such as laval and Sherbrooke found themselves with 8-10 unfilled internal med positions after round 1, even though they offer very good, fully accredited training programs. Last year, Laval decided to leave a few spots vacant after round 2. They just don't want to fill their program with any random candidate. Maybe the same thing will happen to Sask IM, and maybe that's why they have so many unfilled positions.

Archived