Premed 101 Forums

How to make a good impression as research volunteer?

Emerald

Hi everybody,

I posted a thread here recently asking about what my options are now without any experience or research positions, but now I'm very excited to tell you that I got an interview tomorrow at Sickkid's for a research volunteer position in one of my favourite labs (of those that I have looked into). :D

Ok I know it's kind of early to be asking this question but they've already offered to show me around the lab without even looking at my transcript I'm leaning towards the positive side as of now. But I think it shouldn't be too early to look ahead and ask how can I be the best possible volunteer they have every seen???

I understand the risk of being a volunteer (less exciting duties, shorter hours, less chance to stand out etc.) but I still believe that it's at least one-foot-in-the-door. Now I just want to know how can I make a good impression around the lab so I will learn a lot, contribute a lot and be appreciated a lot??

My friend was making a joke about hope it's not some test-tube-washing job. While I know how people say it's better than no research experience at all, I believe that it's the details that make the lab function efficiently (imagine if no one EVER washes tubes in the lab!) so I'm determined to be the best volunteer I can be if everything goes well tomorrow.

Please throw in your two cents thanks!!

(and I have read How to Make the Least of Research Volunteer from mygraduateschool.wordpress.com; it's relevant but not detailed enough which is why I'm asking about your opinions now)

Congrats on the potential position, I hope it goes well. Apologies for the long response but I think you've brought up some very good points about volunteering. In my opinion, one of the best ways to make a good impression as a volunteer is to actually show up and do the job you've been given.

I realize that this sounds trivial but we have had volunteers in our lab that seem to think that since they're volunteering (i.e. gifting us with their time) that if they decide they don't want to do something it's no big deal. From the perspective of someone working in the lab it is very frustrating when a volunteer says they will come in at a certain time/day only to have them not show up. Often someone has gone to the trouble of setting something up, getting supplies ready, perhaps pushing off other duties to prepare etc. I'm sure you can imagine the type of impression that leaves the researchers with.

In our lab, EVERYONE washes dishes : ) You are correct in that small details make a lab run efficiently and sometimes the importance of menial tasks is overlooked. It does not make a good impression when an undergrad volunteer decides that washing or stuffing tips is beneath them while the grad students and post-docs are all sitting there doing it. Trust me, as someone who has written reference letters for volunteers and thesis students, I remember those kinds of things. If a volunteer is willing to do the little things with a smile on their face and show some enthusiasm and interest in the research happening in the lab, they are more likely to be appreciated, trusted and asked to work on larger projects in the future.

My two cents : )

rask

To be honest, I don't understand the question. What do you mean how do you make a good impression?

Basically, do all your work accurately and promptly. Stay up late and go to the lab early if you need to. Offer to help out with anything additional that you can.

Scenario: Supervisor asks you to produce graphs for the results. You don't know whether you should do graph type A or type B, and your supervisor already left. What do you do? Well, instead of asking him/her tomorrow, have BOTH completed. When you meet him, show him the graphs...let's say you showed graph A.

Supervisor: "Ben, I want the graphs to be like...(indicating graph B)"

You (Ben): "Done. Right here!"

There is really nothing additional to say. WORK HARD, TRY YOUR BEST! Cliche, but it's cliche for a reason...it's right!

agree with fred. do all your experiments accurately and efficiently. every failed experiment is money wasted. get involved in presenting your work. learn fast. don't waste time. get along with your labmates. you'll be the among the top 90th percentile of research assistants if you can do all of that. sounds easy but it's not.

You are correct in that small details make a lab run efficiently and sometimes the importance of menial tasks is overlooked. It does not make a good impression when an undergrad volunteer decides that washing or stuffing tips is beneath them while the grad students and post-docs are all sitting there doing it.

^this. Grad students get pretty annoyed when they have to clean up after undergrads (or worse, when they have to keep a close eye on those who disregard important safety issues). Establish yourself as someone people like to work with (be helpful, don't leave a mess, don't catch things on fire etc.), and people will be more likely to give you more responsibility... and reference letters.

I agree with what people have said so far.

1 - Dishes:

Dishes suck. They take time away from experiments and just a hassle. As a volunteer you'll likely have lots of "extra" to do random things about the lab, because you won't have the expertise/time to do larger experiments. If you do dishes all the time, everyone will LOVE YOU!!!!!

2 - Experiments:

Do what you're told, how you're told and only what you're told. You likely don't have the experience/knowledge required to troubleshoot what you're doing.

3 - Ask questions!

Don't be annoying of course. But ask lots of questions. Even if you think they're stupid, ask away anyways. In terms of research, undergrads are dumb. But that's not your fault, lol. You simply haven't acquired the right knowledge yet. That's why you're volunteering!!!

Other than that, just be yourself. Don't try to be more (I AM GOD AND WILL CURE CANCER) or less (imma just sit in this corner...) than that.

Cheers,

Congrats on the potential position, I hope it goes well. Apologies for the long response but I think you've brought up some very good points about volunteering. In my opinion, one of the best ways to make a good impression as a volunteer is to actually show up and do the job you've been given.

Ditto this. I've been working fulltime as a researcher in a lab (at SickKids, incidentally) for a bit now, and have supervised a few volunteers. The ones that have made the greatest impression have been the ones who show up consistently, DO WHAT THEY'RE ASKED, and show a positive attitude.

The WORST things volunteers have done are complaining that their job is boring, making excuses for not coming in, and not doing the job they're assigned. I know it sucks to possibly spend hours doing a seemingly trivial job, but having a good attitude about it will get you far. Don't be afraid to show an interest in other projects/tasks, but do make sure you complete what you're asked to do. This will show that you're motivated and also reliable, and when help is needed with something else, you might just be asked to step up.

Good luck, and hope you have a rewarding experience!!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same question with a slightly different scenario. What if you are doing clinical research, this is your first time basically setting foot in a lab, but you are being paid? (No i didn't have any connections)

What are the expectations? I know that as you are being paid, the expectations are a lot higher, but I've basically never been in a lab or research setting in my entire life and i'm a bit stressed about it all. I've asked my PI for stuff to do pre-research on.

Whats a general day in the lab like? When does it start, when does it end, who works in the lab (masters, phd, fellows, PI), how big are labs and are discoveries made often? Are there some conflicts or is it usually very peaceful?

I have the same question with a slightly different scenario. What if you are doing clinical research, this is your first time basically setting foot in a lab, but you are being paid? (No i didn't have any connections)

What are the expectations? I know that as you are being paid, the expectations are a lot higher, but I've basically never been in a lab or research setting in my entire life and i'm a bit stressed about it all. I've asked my PI for stuff to do pre-research on.

Whats a general day in the lab like? When does it start, when does it end, who works in the lab (masters, phd, fellows, PI), how big are labs and are discoveries made often? Are there some conflicts or is it usually very peaceful?

Don't get too stressed if this is your first time in a lab. The graduate student or post-doc who will likely be supervising you most of the time (as opposed to the PI, at least in our field) will be aware that there are many things that you won't know. Even in a paid position. IMHO attitude is most important, it's not so much what you know already but that you're eager to learn and are competent after being shown how to do something. Ask questions. I would rather have a student clarify with me when they're unsure as opposed to potentially ruining an experiment. Remember you are there to learn, not to come in already knowing everything. Most grad students/post-docs etc. are willing to teach and explain if you're willing to ask.

As for your other questions, this is going to vary quite a bit from lab to lab. Typically work day for people who 'work' in our lab is ~ 9 - 7. We try to keep our undergrads to roughly 8 hours somewhere within that schedule so there is always someone around the help them. Grad students might be in and out at all hours of the day/weekend. Ask the person you are working with what hours they want you in/are able to help you. Our PI rarely works in the lab and our group is only ~ 12 people. Conflicts can arise but usually are related to minor things such as who didn't put something away or who forgot to re-order a reagent after using the last of the old bottle. 'Discoveries' in our field are usually made after many months of work and experiments so don't expect someone to be shouting 'eureka' every other day. We have projects that have been on-going for years as there are always more questions that arise.

Good luck.

4 As:

Appearance

Availability

Affability

Aptitude

Hi everybody,

I posted a thread here recently asking about what my options are now without any experience or research positions, but now I'm very excited to tell you that I got an interview tomorrow at Sickkid's for a research volunteer position in one of my favourite labs (of those that I have looked into). :D

Ok I know it's kind of early to be asking this question but they've already offered to show me around the lab without even looking at my transcript I'm leaning towards the positive side as of now. But I think it shouldn't be too early to look ahead and ask how can I be the best possible volunteer they have every seen???

I understand the risk of being a volunteer (less exciting duties, shorter hours, less chance to stand out etc.) but I still believe that it's at least one-foot-in-the-door. Now I just want to know how can I make a good impression around the lab so I will learn a lot, contribute a lot and be appreciated a lot??

My friend was making a joke about hope it's not some test-tube-washing job. While I know how people say it's better than no research experience at all, I believe that it's the details that make the lab function efficiently (imagine if no one EVER washes tubes in the lab!) so I'm determined to be the best volunteer I can be if everything goes well tomorrow.

Please throw in your two cents thanks!!

(and I have read How to Make the Least of Research Volunteer from mygraduateschool.wordpress.com; it's relevant but not detailed enough which is why I'm asking about your opinions now)

Archived