Premed 101 Forums

PT Health Benefits and Mat Leave

I don't know how the mat leave works in Canada but doesn't the government give you some mat leave and your employer would "top up" your pay or something like that?

So even if you don't get benefits at your job, wouldn't the government still give you something? Maybe someone who has done mat leave here can clear it up, sorry I'm not sure of the rules.

I would say don't worry about this until you actually become a PT. A lot of places don't offer health benefits, but some (like hospitals, etc) do offer them. You don't have to only work in private clinics.

I think it depends on your relationship with the clinic. If you are considered self-employed as a contractor/sub-contractor, then you are likely left on your own. Since there are no deductions taken, then you are left to either pay into EI yourself OR not pay into and get no "paid" mat leave from the government. As well, if you are not an employee at the clinic, it will be unlikely that they will pay for the mat leave.

If you are an employee, then there would be CPP, EI and income taxes deducted. If they do deduct EI, then you are entitled to have mat leave paid out by the EI program (I think it's 60% of the average of last "X" number of weeks you worked before applying for mat leave plus a two week "penalty")

Hope this is correct and helps.

Archived