Premed 101 Forums

Best cardiology program (and why?)

I know there aren't very many fellows that use the forum but I am an IM resident applying for fellowship soon. I haven't had very much time to see most of the programs so was wondering what "relatively" the best programs are.

Toronto is probably tops (by default) but I was wondering where the other programs fall in terms of training (ie. strong teaching, adequate number of fellows, getting jobs after training...)

Thanks!

I know there aren't very many fellows that use the forum but I am an IM resident applying for fellowship soon. I haven't had very much time to see most of the programs so was wondering what "relatively" the best programs are.

Toronto is probably tops (by default) but I was wondering where the other programs fall in terms of training (ie. strong teaching, adequate number of fellows, getting jobs after training...)

Thanks!

I'm not sure of the specifics but I know Ottawa cardio won a PAIRO award for best training program in 2011 I think. McMaster also publishes a ton of cardio studies - we've got Dr Salim Yusuf who is a research powerhouse

Thanks that's a good point, I've heard good things about Ottawa as well.

I guess I'm only asking b/c cardio is pretty competitive so most ppl are just happy to get in and most residents will rank geographically.

For the IM match there always seems to be a bit of rumor as to programs that are not very strong for whatever reason.

ie. UBC - service heavy and not much teaching

I don't hear very many rumors about subspecialty fellowships in general, perhaps b/c fellowship is kind of brutal regardless of where you train (ie. much more likely to work post call b/c of home call system, expectation to be highly self directed in terms of education...)?

Archived