Premed 101 Forums

How is MCAT VR weighted at Mac

before you jump down my throat, I know about the % for GPA/MCAT/Casper, but my question is how do they rank a 9 vs. 10 vs. 11 etc.

Is it simply linear (about 2.5% on your total applicant profile score per MCAT point)? That would seem a bit strange with the way MCAT converts raws to scale scores.

I'm waiting for my scores from Mar. 23 and wondering if I get a 10 whether it's worth the time and money to rewrite going for an 11 or 12 (which I most often got on my AAMC practice MCATs). If I get a 9 I will almost certainly re-write.

In case it matters, my GPA on (completed) Bachelors was about 3.8.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

before you jump down my throat, I know about the % for GPA/MCAT/Casper, but my question is how do they rank a 9 vs. 10 vs. 11 etc.

Is it simply linear (about 2.5% on your total applicant profile score per MCAT point)? That would seem a bit strange with the way MCAT converts raws to scale scores.

I'm waiting for my scores from Mar. 23 and wondering if I get a 10 whether it's worth the time and money to rewrite going for an 11 or 12 (which I most often got on my AAMC practice MCATs). If I get a 9 I will almost certainly re-write.

In case it matters, my GPA on (completed) Bachelors was about 3.8.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

It's weighted. Not linear. Standard deviations will be used to asses your VR.

So a VR from 7 to 8 might be a 8% jump, where as a VR step up from 10 to 11 could be 18% jump. Not exactly sure on the numbers.

Thanks, Trojan. It's tough to decide whether it's worth a re-write to go from 10-11 but sounds like 9-11 would definitely be worth it if I can swing it. I've registered for one in June just in case and can always withdraw and take the penalty if my scores are o.k.

It's probably just z scores.

Looking at their admissions stats, a 13 in VR might actually be "worth" more than like, a 3.95 GPA. I bet they get more 4.00 applicants than 13+ VR applicants.

A 10 with a 3.80 is probably a fairly average profile, both things considered. A hair below the mean in VR and a hair above in GPA. You'd have a strong chance to get an interview as long as you could handle CASPer (the means for applicants would be even lower).

If you're confident that you could get an 11 or 12, then I would say rewriting isn't a terrible idea. Especially if you are less than confident in your CASPer / interview skills. But if you're a critical thinker, an adept typist, and an articulate, coherent extrovert, then you might want to save your money and hang your hat on a 10.

• 4 weeks later...
by when do we have to write MCAT for 2013 application cycle?

If I recall correctly, you have to have your score by the OMSAS submission deadline which will be given in the 2013-2014 OMSAS instruction booklet (which comes out in July I believe) and is typically the beginning of October. The last test date that releases the scores in time is usually the beginning of September.

I could be miss-remembering as this is just from memory but the 2012-2013 dates are all in the OMSAS instruction booklet:

http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/b_omsas_e.pdf

by when do we have to write MCAT for 2013 application cycle?

I wrote it on the last possible date for this cycle. IIRC it was Sept. 6th (won't necessarily be the same for the next cycle but it will be close to that).

The main problem with writing on the last possible date is that you apply "blind". You're going through the whole OMSAS process, submitting and paying for everything, without knowing your MCAT score.

Archived