Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Interviews OT

For UofT they look at resume, refs, essays we wrote.. so cant really predict it only on grades. Their website faq says the average of the class is 3.5-3.7 (80-85%). I also like to think alot of the ppl who applied to mac with these super high gpa's did so as a med back up, and didnt want to bother with refs and essays. Typically mac gets more applicants cause of this so lets hope the gpa avg for the other schools is lower.

As for queens, i googled ot acceptances and found a forum where someone said their class avg was around 3.4. So its the same as UofT,you gotta look at everything in the application. And they typically take "lower" gpa's. (I hate calling a 3.5-3.6 gpa low..as if graduating with an A- average is something to sneeze at).

Toronto is my first choice anyway so maybe it will work out for the best. Stay positive guys :)

For those who got rejected from Mac ot, do you think that means there is hardly any chance for uoft? My average was 0.01 from the mmi invite cut-off.

If you're only 0.01 from the cut-off, you might still get an interview for Mac. Not everyone will attend the MMI and even then there might still be hope as they go down the list for applicants later on. And yes, there is still a good chance of you getting in at UfT. :)

Also,

I think a lot of people do OT as a med school/PT back-up, so some of the higher grades do get automatically taken out of the rankings. And keep this in mind as well (if you haven't ventured to visit the other discussions here:)

Think about it this way

Mac takes top applicants for their MMI (probs a cutoff slightly higher than U of T), Western takes 50 based on GPA.

So all 3 schools are generally taking people from one small top percentage crew.

85 (U of T class size) + 65 (Mac) + 50 Western = 200

your chances are better than you think :)

hope this gives you a some optimism!

I agree. I also had a glance at the ORPAS booklet again, in 2012 Mac got ~875 applications for OT, compared to 600 for Queens, and 700 for UofT and Western. That's 200-300 extra people applying...so I believe that can make a huge difference at the end of the day.

I agree. I also had a glance at the ORPAS booklet again, in 2012 Mac got ~875 applications for OT, compared to 600 for Queens, and 700 for UofT and Western. That's 200-300 extra people applying...so I believe that can make a huge difference at the end of the day.

random question, but are the 300 interviews for both PT and OT, or does each program grant 300 interviews?

And yes, I think also that the 600 people applying to Queen's are also applying to the 3 other schools - after going through all the work for ORPAS, I'm sure everyone has chosen to put in an application for 2+ of the schools available. This is not even taking into account the schools out West. Let's say the applicant pool is ~875 people applying to UBC, U of A, McGill, and the 4 Ontario schools, there are quite a few spots in total that are up for grabs!

random question, but are the 300 interviews for both PT and OT, or does each program grant 300 interviews?

McMaster website says: Approximately the 300 top-ranked applicants to each of the programs are invited for a personal interview.

But since McMaster is so "easy" to apply to (meaning no extra stuff on the application required), then I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the PT & med people are throwing their application into the OT ring as well.

And don't forget Western only goes by GPA too, so the highest grades will get offers there as well.

P.S. I love how we all turn into mathematicians once these interview notices come out lol :P

McMaster website says: Approximately the 300 top-ranked applicants to each of the programs are invited for a personal interview.

But since McMaster is so "easy" to apply to (meaning no extra stuff on the application required), then I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the PT & med people are throwing their application into the OT ring as well.

And don't forget Western only goes by GPA too, so the highest grades will get offers there as well.

P.S. I love how we all turn into mathematicians once these interview notices come out lol :P

Everyone on here is definitely helping me to stay positive. I am in ECE so all of my friends got their teachers college acceptances on April 2 and I don't know anyone applying to OT. It's really nice to have people - even virtual ones going through the same process. :)

Hey All!

I just wanted to express some sincere THANKS for everyone who is being so supportive of one another! Its easy to automatically assume everyone is competition, but seeing the words of encouragement here really makes me feel like I'm looking to get into the right field!

I also got a rejection from Mac, but am hoping for Queen's, uOttawa, Western, or U of T to prevail! Chins up, guys! :)

Hey All!

I just wanted to express some sincere THANKS for everyone who is being so supportive of one another! Its easy to automatically assume everyone is competition, but seeing the words of encouragement here really makes me feel like I'm looking to get into the right field!

I also got a rejection from Mac, but am hoping for Queen's, uOttawa, Western, or U of T to prevail! Chins up, guys! :)

DITTO! I have been keeping tabs on this forum since January and I can't say enough how much this community has eased my worries. We are all in it together :cool:

I didn't get an interview at McMaster, however, a recent OT grad friend of mine reassured me, saying that she got an interview after being on the waitlist at the end of April.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

Keep calm and carry on

Like me! Haha my first choice is PT and I've been recently been interested in OT and mac didn't require extra work for OT so I "threw it in there". I can assure you all that there are many people like me. I did not get an interview for mac PT with a 3.77 but got one for OT.

I haven't rsvp-ed yet but once I hear back from uOttawa this week, that will impact my decision. So wish me luck with that because that will free up at least one spot for you guys haha :) I've been doing this application process for the 2nd time around and I know how stressful it can be, trust me. And I assure you, a lot of PT or med hopeful are in this mix as well so stay positive!!

Hey!

Congrats to all the interview candidates :) My interview is Sunday the 28th at 2:25, anyone else in that time slot? I am coming from B.C and am not going to know anyone. Coffee date before hand? Scratch that, caffeine will make me too jittery, beers after??

Congrats again,

Katie

This thread is making me feel a bit better.... I got rejected from Mac interviews by missing the cutoff by 0.01 of a GPA point, UGHHHH. It was my last choice (I want to go to Dal... but there are only 25 seats for oop applicants, ha. So seems a slim shot), but I can't help but feel that my chances of getting in elsewhere after not even getting invited to an interview are low!!

Based on your comments though I am not going to give up hope yet :)

I have been out of school for 3 years now working full-time in the field of my undergrad (not related to life sciences... but does have a link to OT, I still don't know if this will effect my chances as well) which I have not been enjoying too much. I started volunteering at a long-term care facility in town with my free time to try and feel more useful, which I actually looove doing and is what prompted me to apply to OT! Wish I had applied last year!!!!! My GPA would have been good enough then, hah.

Congrats to everyone who got an interview! and if you didn't get one, then my fingers aren crossed for you- I can't believe how much the GPA cutoff went up this year

I am wondering if there is anyone out there in the Kamloops BC area who might want to get together and practice? I know it's a long-shot, but it's worth a try!

Archived