Premed 101 Forums

Being a male applicant.

go away troll.

stop making trouble where there isn't any to begin with.

Someone pointing out a problematic post: "troll"

Someone who says that doctors only avoid using racist language is so they don't appear racist, and who believes that not using racist language compromises them as a person: Nope, totally legit. No trolls here.

(This same person also thinks you post your opinions "in a healthy discussion." Definitely not a fellow troll!)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Someone pointing out a problematic post: "troll"

Someone who says that doctors only avoid using racist language is so they don't appear racist, and who believes that not using racist language compromises them as a person: Nope, totally legit. No trolls here.

(This same person also thinks you post your opinions "in a healthy discussion." Definitely not a fellow troll!)

May you be so kind as to provide a full list, based on geographical location, which dictates the appropriate racial, gender-based, sexual orientation-based terms?

I will be impressed if you come up with some list that doesn't offend someone.

May you be so kind as to provide a full list, based on geographical location, which dictates the appropriate racial, gender-based, sexual orientation-based terms?

I will be impressed if you come up with some list that doesn't offend someone.

So much hyperbole... How can I even address this? Alright I'll try.

1. So let's try to get back to the problem at hand. If someone told you that a word was racist and asked you to not use it you would begin defending yourself? You would "refuse to conform"? And you would believe that anyone who doesn't use the word does it out of fear for being labeled as racist, no one else could possibly do it to .... not use racist terminology?

2. Do you believe it is difficult to not use problematic language?

3. Do you believe it is a burden to not use problematic language, and this takes away too much of your time?

4. Do you believe that because it's impossible to not offend someone somewhere, we should not try to not use problematic language with historical context that makes people feel uncomfortable??? (And worse than uncomfortable)

5. Why are you so adamant about defending the use of racist language????

So much hyperbole... How can I even address this? Alright I'll try.

1. So let's try to get back to the problem at hand. If someone told you that a word was racist and asked you to not use it you would begin defending yourself? You would "refuse to conform"? And you would believe that anyone who doesn't use the word does it out of fear for being labeled as racist, no one else could possibly do it to .... not use racist terminology?

I would mention that I was unaware that this term was inappropriate. It is likely that some people may be offended by the term that I was corrected by and hence I would end up in a viscious cycle

2. Do you believe it is difficult to not use problematic language?

I would think you can avoid it for the most part - after that, "problematic language" is a subjective issue. So yes, knowing what is problematic to each person before knowing them is difficult

3. Do you believe it is a burden to not use problematic language, and this takes away too much of your time?

No I don't think it is a burden to avoid problematic(racist) language

4. Do you believe that because it's impossible to not offend someone somewhere, we should not try to not use problematic language with historical context that makes people feel uncomfortable??? (And worse than uncomfortable)

Yes I belive it is impossible not to offen someone, somewhere, somehow. There are obviously terms that are generally accepted as problematic, but as aforementioned, it is IMPOSSIBLE to know how each person is going to dictate their problematic vocabulary

5. Why are you so adamant about defending the use of racist language????

I am not defending the use of racist language. I am asking you what language you would consider to be entirely sensitive to everyone no matter the situation. Essentially, I am asking you an impossible question, becuase that language DOES NOT EXIST

10charmander

The old "every term I could possibly use offends someone" excuse is lazy. We should all try to learn about the cultural and historical context of the identifying terms we use, and try to find the terms generally agreed upon by members of a particular group. Use those terms, and if a particular person objects, just ask them which term they prefer instead and use it with them, no exception. It's about respect!

We will all make honest mistakes from time to time, and that's okay. Knowing this, respect and open-mindedness from all parties go a long way in making sure no one feels uncomfortable!

Thank you for your reply. This makes me feel much more comfortable about potentially attending Mac. It seems that there was a misunderstanding somewhere, which would explain why I was so confused by your post.

I am not defending the use of racist language. I am asking you what language you would consider to be entirely sensitive to everyone no matter the situation. Essentially, I am asking you an impossible question, becuase that language DOES NOT EXIST

I never said that people cannot make mistakes or that they should be shamed for such (or whatever, I'm not sure what you thought I said). My concern was that someone thinks they have a right to use problematic language (shouldn't have to compromise their character, believes that other people don't use such language just for show).

Perhaps you got this from my first post in this thread. There are many times where people should know better or should have educated themselves if they wish to server the public. For example, if someone talked about treating "trannies" as opposed to transgendered people this would raise red flags for me as I'm sure it would in a medschool interview. I'm not saying people cannot make mistakes but some mistakes, at this point in our lives, are uncalled for (and can reveal other things about a person; using dehumanizing language for a group of people: how might this applicant view those people?).

But again, I said nothing about trojjanhorse using the word "oriental" before someone explained to him that this word was problematic. (Perhaps they did not explain but merely told him; here I still believe the onus is on him to learn about why the word is problematic, it's not on the minority, but I could see why this would put him on the defensive.)

The old "every term I could possibly use offends someone" excuse is lazy. We should all try to learn about the cultural and historical context of the identifying terms we use, and try to find the terms generally agreed upon by members of a particular group. Use those terms, and if a particular person objects, just ask them which term they prefer instead and use it with them, no exception. It's about respect!

I don't think it is lazy, but rather it's honest. You contradict yourself by saying "generally" agreed upon. This implies there are going to be people who don't agree with it. And your last point.... I already made that point.

God that's a beautiful image. LOL

Careful. You said God and maybe you just offended an atheist...

And you used the word beautiful... maybe you just offended an ugly person too?

Can't be too careful with the politically correct word police. Soon it won't just be medical instruments and OR's that are sterile.

:D

I don't think it is lazy, but rather it's honest. You contradict yourself by saying "generally" agreed upon. This implies there are going to be people who don't agree with it. And your last point.... I already made that point.

Yeah, I said generally agreed upon because some people will not agree... hence why I described what to do if someone doesn't agree and asks you to use another term.

I'm sorry if that seemed hostile, I'm genuinely not trying to argue with you here and I realize my choice of the word lazy set a negative tone. All I meant was that engaging in respectful dialogue takes work!

Archived