Premed 101 Forums

Did not match! What can I do?

I think a solution would be for the LCME to start site visits and accreditation of schools outside of Canada and the US. Trusting the WHO list is ridiculous because there is so much variability as you said. California already does this, and that's why only a few Caribbean schools made it onto their approved list. If a school was interested and had a large Canadian student body, they could apply to the LCME for recognition and maybe pay a fee. The vast majority of CSAs come from a handful of schools in Australia, Ireland, and SGU+Saba in the Caribbean, so it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

i so concur this.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a solution would be for the LCME to start site visits and accreditation of schools outside of Canada and the US.

In your model, who pays for these site visits and reviews?

The reason I ask is because I just gave a chunk of money to the Royal College of Physicians. I went to a Canadian medical school and I am doing my residency in Canada but I just paid $600 to have my education evaluated so that I can *apply* to write my Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada exams next year. Not an examination fee mind you, but an evaluation fee to see if I qualify to pay the examination fee. And I went to school here! :eek:

If the Royal College can get away with charging $600 per head for what will probably be about 15 minutes of work in my case, I can only imagine what the analogous agencies will charge to evaluate undergraduate medical education in foreign countries. Who will pay for that? The already-$300k-in-debt undergrad at Ross?

Archived