Premed 101 Forums

Did not match! What can I do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll throw it out there: can Ian Wong or Andrew comment here, or PM the OP?

Ian is kind of away right now from the boards but maybe he will chime in.

That really sucks - sorry to here you are going through this. Your school hopefully is helping you out the max here.

I believe some schools offer a deferred graduation. You're then allowed to take more clinical electives as a medical student. Otherwise, if you graduate without a residency, all you can do is shadow.

Of course there is research and US options. Ian Wong scored amazingly high on the usmles after going unmatched for ENT and matched to radiology the next year.

Maybe MPH and MBA?

I heard that some schools made spots in FM for a couple unmatched applications... Is there a list of the left-over spots after round 2? Isn't there an unofficial scramble? I am curious to see the list as well. Other option would be to learn French maybe. All the french schools have plenty of unfilled positions or work overseas for a year maybe. I'm an IMG that matched (FM), but there are many that stay overseas. No reason why you couldn't apply for a visa if you were willing to go overseas for a year. CaRMS is really weird.

your dean should start contacting individual programs in your school and asking them directly if they can accept you.. you should book an apportionment with him/her. If you are from Ontario, you have a guaranteed 5 years budget aside for you.. not a lot of people know this.. you basically have the money and only need a spot.. Usually, the home school accept the left overs from the Carms as courtesy unless there is a red flag in your application. I know this b/c i had a friend who did not match and our dean picked up the phone and secured a general surgery spot for her.. ( from Ottawa U )..

Sara kj

your dean should start contacting individual programs in your school and asking them directly if they can accept you.. you should book an apportionment with him/her. If you are from Ontario, you have a guaranteed 5 years budget aside for you.. not a lot of people know this.. you basically have the money and only need a spot.. Usually, the home school accept the left overs from the Carms as courtesy unless there is a red flag in your application. I know this b/c i had a friend who did not match and our dean picked up the phone and secured a general surgery spot for her.. ( from Ottawa U )..

Sara kj

I have heard of this before as well. The dean usually/should go to bat for you and call people up to get you in. It's a bit of trade, your own school is expected to do the same later if a student needs a spot.

Sara kj

I got the impression the OP wasn't a Canadian grad.

For IMGs, that would be the end of the line for this year match. They should review their application in details and see what section is weaker than the other and work on that. If they got good number of interviews, that means their application is generally strong so they have to work on their interview skills. The damn CaRMS is a black box that no one really knows what works the best.

Sarakj

I got the impression the OP wasn't a Canadian grad.

I am an IMG. I did not want to mislead anyone into thinking I am a domestic graduate.

The advice I have been given is to take the NAC-OSCE and QE1 exams along with a Research position. And perhaps some volunteer clinic work.

Sounds logical - this must be relatively common with IMGs, I hope you come out on the other side with what you want!

I'm a CMG. 1st iteration applied very very narrowly and second iteration I just wanted a spot and applied pretty broadly to fam med, however I went unmatched. Not sure what happened there.

Not sure if I should try out USMLE or get any leftover positions by speaking to my PG dean, he is away so won't be meeting him until he is back.

I'm a CMG. 1st iteration applied very very narrowly and second iteration I just wanted a spot and applied pretty broadly to fam med, however I went unmatched. Not sure what happened there.

Not sure if I should try out USMLE or get any leftover positions by speaking to my PG dean, he is away so won't be meeting him until he is back.

Isn't there a career counselling person or office in your school that can also help, while you wait for the PG dean? What about the UG office?

I could tell you what I did for my year of unlicensed MD-ness, but my situation is probably so different that it isn't relevant.

Isn't there a career counselling person or office in your school that can also help, while you wait for the PG dean? What about the UG office?

I could tell you what I did for my year of unlicensed MD-ness, but my situation is probably so different that it isn't relevant.

Well I don't know about others, but I for one am curious to know!

Really sorry to hear that. Can't imagine the stress you're going through right now.

If post-grad/UGME is not helpful, keep close contact with student affairs. They've been through this scenario with students before.

I heard (through the grapevine, sources not 100%) that despite the rumours of everyone saying that there is a post-second round scramble, unfilled positions after second iteration are off limits as per CaRMs, which is potentially why PGME will not be able to help you.

Options for extension of clerkship? Delay graduation? Try to keep your student status for as long as possible...otherwise will have no insurance to do clinical stuff and will have to start paying back loans.

My PG weren't alot of help. They mainly ask you what you wanna do with yor extra year and gave some suggestions like doing a masters.

Can cdnmaple or anyone who went unmatched let me know what they do/did in their year off to strengthen our application?

Because once you graduate you have no malpractice insurance and UG won't let you delay graduation either because you already fulfilled all the requirements to graduate and should graduate. So without a malpractice insurance you can't do clinical electives during your year off correct? Only observership? Which is essentially being labeled as "near useless" by PG. Anyone knows of there is anyway we can get clinical electives after graduating from our Canadian school? Or anyone suggest doing a research assistant or physica on assistant type of job better?

Please advice :(

I don't know how true it is, but there was a post somewhere here on the forums where someone got in contact with either their home school or a MOHLTC admin person to discuss the option of having a FM spot created with a RoS contract. I don't know where that thread is. Perhaps that's an option? Anyone have information about this?

Archived