Premed 101 Forums

UofA Interview

Guest All Good Names are Used

I just got home from a ski vacation and got a letter saying I got an interview at UofA on March 20th.

When are other peoples interviews???8o

Guest happychica

I got one on the 13th....

but I dont know if I'm going to attend....

I went to the UBC interview....got rejected..not even on the waiting list....

Does anyone know if I can ask them to forward the interview result from UBC? Also, I dont think I did well for the ubc interview....I only went in for like 25 mins....

but since I'm an out-of-province and u of a only accepts 2 or 3 of us, I find the chance of me getting accepted is really really slim......lots of travelling for something i wont get..... |I

disappointed i didnt get into ubc...but I'm thinking of rewriting my DAT and reapplying next year...I'm only 20....so I still feel like I have time....i think,,,

good luck to you all who will go to u of A for the interview..wish u all the best!! ;)

Guest predent2003

Don't be discouraged happychica! Man you are so young! You must be really good to get an interview!

I got an interview @ UofA too on the 13th. I don't know if I am going to attend either, but then I don't know if I am allowed to attend since they said only "one interview annually", and I've already attended UBC's interview. Plus by the time, I've already paid the $8200.................:x

Anybody else are in the same shoe as me??:\

Guest happychica

predent: well you got into UBC....and I think that UBC would be your top choice over U of A.....(I think you're from BC right?)....if you know you're going to UBC and paying the deposit I dont really see the sense of going for the interview unless you want other choices besides UBC....

yeah I fast-tracked only cuz I'm from somewhere else...and got transfer credits from "high school" ^__^

i'm done my BSc this year too...actually thinking of a year off then hopefully go to dental school next year :)

ohh yeah..i read that too..that only we're limited to one interview CDA style....guess I need to call and ask how to transfer my interview result from UBC to U of A...

I'm hoping to get into U of T....but dont think I'll get in this year... does anyone know how many apply to U of T and how many get interviewed?

Thanks

You guys got letters? How come I haven't got one!!

I think I am not even invited to the interview =(

Is that true that we are entitled for only one CDA interview??

I screwed up UBC interview!! NO WAY!!

Guest LestatZinnie

i'm certain that you get 2 CDA interviews since I knew a few people who got in UBC after second application and had second interviews.

They limit the number of interviews because some people learn the format and give canned answers.

Guest happychica

LestatZinnie: I think they meant limited to one per year?

Hmm i dont have that u of a letter with me now, but it says something about since people usually apply to more than one school, the CDA interview is limited to one....

not too sure what they mean...but I thought it was just for that year that they are applying...does anyone know for sure?

I guess I should call them on Monday to find out :P

Guest predent2003

To those of you who's concerned,

I just confirmed with the UofA admission office that we are only allowed ONE cda interview per year. And for those of us who've been to the ubc interview, we are only allowed to have the scores sent to the school from ubc.

Those of you who didn't do so where in the last interview may have to harrass the UofA office to let you do it one more time :\

Guest YYCdentboi

I just confirmed with Chris at the U of A Office of Admissions that those who were interviewed at UBC can also attend the interview at U of A. The UBC interview is slightly different from that of U of A's so she advised to disregard the the sentence which states applicants are only limited to one CDA-structured interview/year.

Cheers,

J.

Guest predent2003

Really?

That is different from the answer I got from the email this morning.

Anyway, I think they should allow us to do it anyway since it's a different school:)

Guest happychica

They called me today and told me they were gonna call everyone to let them know that its not limited to one interview anymore.....

so those who went to ubc can go to the uofa interview....

Guest Nighthawk

All Good Names are Used: Hey there B-man! Congrats on your interview and hope you had a good time skiing! Hope it doesn't cause a conflict for you. Did you get my email about my interview? Maybe send me your new email address.

As for your other question regarding situational questions, I personally have a set format for answering those. As with any dilemma questions, I answer them by starting by explaining one side, then the other, and then I pick one side. I start with the side I won't pick, so I won't have to backtrack; that might detract or confuse the interviewer. I like to pick a side because that shows conviction and the ability to make a decision. Also, it opens up the discussion for defending your answer, which is probably impressive if you can do it well. Some will say that you don't *have* to pick a side, but I like to. When you defend, make sure you have lots of good examples. Personal examples work well, since that shows more of you, makes your answer real, and shows you as a person. Most importantly, be yourself! Most of the time, the interviewers can see through people who aren't.

Just my opinion and Good luck,

J

PS My interview was open file as per my application (no academics)

Guest danman04

Wassup everyone.

Does anyone have experience with the CDA structured interview or even the U of A dentistry interview? What are your insights, if you don't mind me asking?

Dan

Guest apical meristems

The structure of the U of A interview is broken down into two categories:

They will ask you situational questions (e.g. You are working in a group and...)

They will also ask you to explain times in your life (e.g. Give us a time when your were...)

That's what a U of A dent student told me. Hope it helps.

apical

Nighthawk: Hey J whats up! I hope you're enjoying yourself this semester ( Let's throw another shrimp on the barbie, eh mate):rollin I just got back from yet another trip, it feels like i'm never home anymore! Thanks for all the info regarding the interview. As soon as I get around to getting a new email account I will email you with it!

apical: which of the two days is your interview on?

B-man!:smokin

Guest apical meristems

I haven't applied yet. I am applying for admission in 2005. I just wrote this DAT this February and I am hoping that my results are good enough to get me an interview.

All Good Names are Used, are you going to the U of A? What program are you in? Year?

apical

Archived