Premed 101 Forums

studying abroad may actually be worth it.

I think that makes sense. Is it fair to say that for somewhere like Saba there is much less standardization of rotations? I've met several students in community hospitals who were trying to obtain emerg shifts in the absence of a true rotation, and another doing urology with little to no practical experience (looked more observership than clerkship). Other students managed to get more or less the same rotations as Dal clerks.

Yeah there is unfortunately a huge variation. I was lucky and did almost all my clerkship at a med school in the midwest, except for psych peds and all the electives I did in Canada. I requested to be there because I heard it was awesome. If you have a high Step 1 score I think it gives you a bit more leeway as to what hospital you go to.

My peds rotation in NYC was awful. I can't imagine how useless you'd be if you had to do everything at hospitals like that. Apparently it is/was affiliated with Cornell, which surprised me. There definitely weren't Cornell students in that hospital, although the place I did all my other rotations was alongside their own students.

Archived