Premed 101 Forums

Have you thought about...

Hey everyone! Less than a week to go and I have been going through a million scenarios in my head. Just curious about what has been going through everyone's head in regards to Tuesday morning.

I will be at camp in the morning and then driving to drop off my son at daycare, then go home to check my email. I think I will lock myself in my room to read it...I think it would feel weird to have someone looking over my shoulder...then afterwards I'm not sure. Here are the things I've thought about..

1) Good news:

Do a little dance, tell my hubby, call my sister and possibly tell the world (premed101, Facebook)...possibly more dancing, loud music, a run and a drink...back to camp for a celebratory bbq! (on holidays next week woohoo!)

2) Waitlist (near top)

Keep quiet and potentially not sleep until I actually find out. Return to camp and keep busy by cleaning, or building outdoor furniture (and a sandbox)...

3) The bad news:

Tell hubby and sister, and not tell the world...in this case no news is bad news. I actually tried to keep my application on the DL, but my husband told the world...I hate it because it's all everyone asks me about...gah. Hopefully if it's option 3, then next year he will keep it zipped lol.

What kinds of things have been going through your heads???

This week is going by soooooo slowly! All of the scenarios are constantly going through my head and it seems to be the worst at night when I'm trying to sleep. Thankfully my boyfriend is coming to visit me so I will have moral support. I've been trying to keep busy but it's hard when it's a constant distraction. Lets hope for the best come Tuesday and hopefully we will be classmates soon :)

If it's good news I've thought up how I'll tell my husband. Any other kind of news I haven't really considered what I'll do. Part of me thinks I should imagine getting bad news so that if I do get it, it will sting less. But the reality if it's bad news it's gonna really suck and imagining it won't change that.

I was going to post a similar thread today :)

I already booked the day off work. Told my manager I'd be upset if I didn't get in and drunk if I did. Either way, I'd be a useless employee that day.

I think, that if I get in, I'm going to go and find a Grand Cru Champagne and sip on that that sh*t and love life a little bit...

If I don't, I'll probably lie on the couch a lot. Think about where I'm going to volunteer next... maybe I'll take another university course? Work on my French? Try to plan other things that I'd like to accomplish in the next year so I'm not so fixated on going through the whole process again.

Getting waitlisted would be like sleeping on a bed of nails. But I would gladly do that if it meant getting in.

Something that I was just thinking about that I found surprising was the fact that I really hope you all get in. You'd think a person in such a competitive process would want the other candidates to fail but the fact is I've come to know quite a few of you and want you all to succeed. I feel like there's a bond between us based on what we want to give to society and that can only lead to great things.

So let's suck it up for the next five days and put one in the end zone... being physicians in the north is going to be totally sweet.

I was going to post a similar thread today :)

I already booked the day off work. Told my manager I'd be upset if I didn't get in and drunk if I did. Either way, I'd be a useless employee that day.

I think, that if I get in, I'm going to go and find a Grand Cru Champagne and sip on that that sh*t and love life a little bit...

If I don't, I'll probably lie on the couch a lot. Think about where I'm going to volunteer next... maybe I'll take another university course? Work on my French? Try to plan other things that I'd like to accomplish in the next year so I'm not so fixated on going through the whole process again.

Getting waitlisted would be like sleeping on a bed of nails. But I would gladly do that if it meant getting in.

Something that I was just thinking about that I found surprising was the fact that I really hope you all get in. You'd think a person in such a competitive process would want the other candidates to fail but the fact is I've come to know quite a few of you and want you all to succeed. I feel like there's a bond between us based on what we want to give to society and that can only lead to great things.

So let's suck it up for the next five days and put one in the end zone... being physicians in the north is going to be totally sweet.

I totally agree. I find that when I read people's back stories about their efforts to get into med I really root for them to get in. The fact that there are a finite number of spots doesn't really enter into my consideration. But I think that's probably natural since, as fellow applicants, we know how it feels to want to get in so badly and the amount of work it takes to be competitive.

After all, like one of my student guides at Mac said, if you are qualified enough to get an interview, then you probably have it in you to be a good doctor (and to get in) and it's just a matter of whether that happens this cycle.

I sure hope it does for us!

worked all week just wanting Friday to get here so I could sleep in Saturday...got the w/e pretty much booked, which leaves Monday, which is actually my last day of my nursing job in LTC because I start a new position Wednesday. it is an awesome opportunity I could not say no to ( no one knows about my med app ) but I would let this go for NOSM most definitely. so Tuesday is a day off to receive nosm email and go from there.

I am the same re rooting for everyone. it doesn't really cross my mind, that we are competing for spots. I just focus on what I have to do to make my application stronger.

so good luck all, and have a nice weekend.

p.s. it snowed here yesterday :)

worked all week just wanting Friday to get here so I could sleep in Saturday...got the w/e pretty much booked, which leaves Monday, which is actually my last day of my nursing job in LTC because I start a new position Wednesday. it is an awesome opportunity I could not say no to ( no one knows about my med app ) but I would let this go for NOSM most definitely. so Tuesday is a day off to receive nosm email and go from there.

I am the same re rooting for everyone. it doesn't really cross my mind, that we are competing for spots. I just focus on what I have to do to make my application stronger.

so good luck all, and have a nice weekend.

p.s. it snowed here yesterday :)

Definitely rooting for everyone. Yoga has been one of the only things that has relaxed me in the past few weeks. Lets hope we both get in Taiga gal so we can do yoga together :)

Anyone know roughly what time the emails come out? Hopefully early so we are not stressed all day.

Last year I think they came out sporadically throughout the morning. I received my waitlist email at 10am. They should be out in the morning this year so we probably won't be waiting too long (hopefully)!

I was looking back through last year's acceptance/wait list/rejection thread and I'm curious if anyone knows around how many got in off the wait list last year?

I think it moved around 12-13 spots.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showpost.php?p=727231&postcount=72

My understanding is that the waitlist movement last year was on the low end. I think the year before had 20+ spot movement (Wayward will be able to confirm the exact amount as he was 2 away that year). Mind you, I think the average waitlist movement has usually been in the mid to high teens in the years prior. Anyone with more accurate info, please correct me if I'm off on the numbers.

I'm planning on making a poll on May 14th in hopes that people who are accepted / waitlisted will indicate their intention to accept their offer at NOSM or turn it down for another offer. I'm hoping enough people will respond to give those who are waitlisted a feel for how much the waitlist may move this year.

My understanding is that the waitlist movement last year was on the low end. I think the year before had 20+ spot movement (Wayward will be able to confirm the exact amount as he was 2 away that year). Mind you, I think the average waitlist movement has usually been in the mid to high teens in the years prior. Anyone with more accurate info, please correct me if I'm off on the numbers.

I'm planning on making a poll on May 14th in hopes that people who are accepted / waitlisted will indicate their intention to accept their offer at NOSM or accept turn it down for another offer. I'm hoping enough people will respond to give those who are waitlisted a feel for how much the waitlist may move this year.

I can confirm that the wait list moved 12 spots last year. Not sure about the yr before though. That would definitely be an interesting poll. Nosm does send out periodic emails stating the status of the wait list movement but I don't think the first one will be until the end of may.

I can confirm that the wait list moved 12 spots last year. Not sure about the yr before though. That would definitely be an interesting poll. Nosm does send out periodic emails stating the status of the wait list movement but I don't think the first one will be until the end of may.

Thanks Lekarza for confirming the waitlist movement and validating the value of the poll idea :D By the way, I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I was thinking of holding a google+ hangout session tomorrow evening for all those who don't have a whole lot going on tomorrow evening, myself included . Don't know if getting a bunch of super manic people together is going to be that helpful, but I'm sure it will help pass the time in tomorrow evening's hyperbolic time chamber :P

My understanding is that the waitlist movement last year was on the low end. I think the year before had 20+ spot movement (Wayward will be able to confirm the exact amount as he was 2 away that year).

Yes, the waitlist moved 26 spots in 2011 (which I am pretty sure is the record for NOSM, while last year I believe set the record in the opposite direction, with 16 - 20 being the norm).

I'm planning on making a poll on May 14th in hopes that people who are accepted / waitlisted will indicate their intention to accept their offer at NOSM or turn it down for another offer. I'm hoping enough people will respond to give those who are waitlisted a feel for how much the waitlist may move this year.

Thanks for the info! I think that poll would be very helpful for any of us who end up on the wait list!

Collective high-five for RuralRoots' comment about wishing everyone gets in.

And yeah, NOSM waitlist moved 12 spots last year. I was on that. Quite the stressful. Especially when you're #20 and the year before had moved 26 spots, and the avg was 18-19 spots...

Tuesday I will be somewhere in Gatineau Park. I need a nice serene place to yell a loud "woo-hoo!" or hide and wallow in self pity, depending on the news.

I kinda feel like we're all holding hands with our eyes closed right now...

Archived