Premed 101 Forums

Application to NOSM as an OOP

Hey Guys,

I am sorry if this question has been asked before. I am an Alberta resident with two undergraduate degrees (4 yr BSc bio Sci with a 3.0 GPA, 2 yr BSc Psychology with a 3.9 GPA) and I am considering applying to NOSM because my second undergraduate degree has an OK academic standing.

I recognize the fact that NOSM is looking for specific attributes in terms of their applicants and of their rural status. I immigrated to Edmonton 10 years ago and have lived here ever since. I don't have specific experiences that match the typical profile of a student that they are looking for.

I guess essentially what I am asking is whether if it's worth my time and money to apply to NOSM without extensive experiences that connect me to either a rural or NO or francophone aboriginal background?

Are there examples of people that have been admitted without such attributes?

I would really appreciate some input on this. Thank You.

It's probably not worth it. I didn't bother. You can see the statistics on their website somewhere about what % of admitted applicants were from various areas and it's maybe like one or two in the history of the school who didn't have some kind of rural affiliation.

You have a zero percent chance of getting in if you dont apply .... you have a near zero chance if you do apply ... impossible? no but rather difficult when you are effectively missing 1/3 of your pre-interview score. Seems like some people are getting interviews from out of province but if their rural experience is also weak than they arent getting in seemingly.

Archived