Premed 101 Forums

Subvocalization- verbal

Recently started doing this and I have actually been scoring better on the verbal passages. Might just be a mental thing but for me, quietly/silently muttering the words helps me focus on the passage completely which often translates to better understanding.

Seriously? Man, I really believe you're over-thinking this. If you spend your time trying to 'break' verbal reasoning with really specific strategies, you might find out it makes no difference during the actual MCAT.

Try doing a couple practice verbal sections and see where your weaknesses are. Are you finishing on time? What type of questions are you getting wrong? Are you simply misunderstanding the passage? Those kinds of questions are probably a better way to direct your prep.

I just tried couple of them for first time. I took probably way too much time( around 15 mins+) but I got them about 85~90% correct. The ones I missed was able to narrow them down to two choices.

Recently started doing this and I have actually been scoring better on the verbal passages. Might just be a mental thing but for me, quietly/silently muttering the words helps me focus on the passage completely which often translates to better understanding.

Thanks for your reply. It was helpful to me :)

Can you still get 12 or greater on verbal with the habit of Subvocalization?

Those who don't do well on verbal spend too much time on the questions, and not enough time on the passage. If you're one of those people, then the little bit of time you gain by minimizing subvocalization is nothing compared to how much you waste by being inefficient in general.

has anyone who has actually used subvocalization during their mcat found that this particular approach specifically helps them understand the passage and answer questions? Any specific feedback on this approach would be great!

has anyone who has actually used subvocalization during their mcat found that this particular approach specifically helps them understand the passage and answer questions? Any specific feedback on this approach would be great!

Hard to tell since I have never written it without subvocalizing!

But, when reading light material like a novel, I tend not to subvocalize (very fast reading) but do not absorb much in terms of details so I decided against it in the VB section - especially since I always finished the VB section with around 5 minutes to spare.

schmitty, what exactly did you do when you subvocalized, did you whisper to yourself as you read, or merely lip sync but without using your voice?

Do you think this subvocalization significantly helped you achieve your 12 in verbal? or are you generally a fast/good reader anyways?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated, I'm having trouble improving my score and am up for trying anything that may help. Thanks in advance!

I didn't really do either of those...I mostly just say each word in my head. This makes reading slower, but it was definitely doable as I had time left at each VB section. Just read for the overall point or concept, don't worry about remembering every single detail, as this will prevent you from understanding the author's intentions (which most questions are interested in).

Archived