Premed 101 Forums

NOSM 2013 Waitlist Movement

Thanks for the updates! They are much appreciated. Could someone who had originally accepted an offer of admission to NOSM but was waitlisted at another school, decline their offer once being accepted to the other school? Or once you accept to a school, your waitlist position/offers at all other schools are voided? I am super close, so I was just wondering :) Thanks!

I was hoping someone else would answer because I am not 100% sure so if I'm wrong someone please correct me, but I think because it is through OMSAS once you accept an offer you are removed from any other Ontario schools wait list. That being said people who were offered off the wait list recently can wait until their deadline to accept if they are also wait listed at other schools and anyone who has accepted may also be pulled off of a wait list out of province if they applied more broadly. Hope this answers your question and good luck.

I was hoping someone else would answer because I am not 100% sure so if I'm wrong someone please correct me, but I think because it is through OMSAS once you accept an offer you are removed from any other Ontario schools wait list. That being said people who were offered off the wait list recently can wait until their deadline to accept if they are also wait listed at other schools and anyone who has accepted may also be pulled off of a wait list out of province if they applied more broadly. Hope this answers your question and good luck.

You are 100% correct. Once you accept an offer you are removed from any other wait lists/ acceptances you are on.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the e-mail today saying the class was full and they got to #19 on the wait list (#20 is now #1 on the wait list if anyone decides to withdraw their acceptance). Does anyone know if it is common for a couple of students to withdraw their acceptance after this point or is it almost unheard of?

I got the e-mail today saying the class was full and they got to #19 on the wait list (#20 is now #1 on the wait list if anyone decides to withdraw their acceptance). Does anyone know if it is common for a couple of students to withdraw their acceptance after this point or is it almost unheard of?

I haven't heard such a thing personally. Once a person accepts the spot they are of course taken off of all of the other Ontario med school acceptances/waitlists from what I understand so they cant renig their acceptance to take another schools.

I suspect this would be highly unsual unless they had a SERIOUS family or personal event happen that would preclude them from attending. If I were number 1 on the wait list I would be seriously looking to initiate my back up plan for the year not holding my breath for lightening to strike someone who got accepted so that I could get in. :)

Beef

I haven't heard such a thing personally. Once a person accepts the spot they are of course taken off of all of the other Ontario med school acceptances/waitlists from what I understand so they cant renig their acceptance to take another schools.

I suspect this would be highly unsual unless they had a SERIOUS family or personal event happen that would preclude them from attending. If I were number 1 on the wait list I would be seriously looking to initiate my back up plan for the year not holding my breath for lightening to strike someone who got accepted so that I could get in. :)

Beef

I know of one person who changed schools last minute due to an offer from a prestigious american school... While most places have similar timelines, out of province and out of country play their own games...

Very uncommon though... particularly with NOSM. A large number of NOSM applicants only apply to NOSM (personal observation not statistic), particularly not out of country ones. One of my hypothesized reasons, for that non scientific observation, is the fact that NOSM doesn't require the MCAT, another being that some applicants benefit significantly from the Northern focus in the context score (the same reason why some francophones only apply to schools that give that score boost etc).

Of course that observation is going to be skewed by the fact that I only talk to people that got in, and people with multiple offers aren't able to go to every school they got accepted at... I could have just as easily picked a different school, despite being focused on Norther practice, my decision for med school was almost a coin flip since i was torn between apples and oranges.

I also remember a hyper competitive person on pm101 who got into some competitive american schools and badmouthed some canadian schools for rejecting him... it was very unprofessional...

anyways, no more speculation... tangent aside, unless you were left #1 on the waitlist I would say its time to move on... if you are #1, do whatever superstitious things you feel necessary... its not impossible... but also move on.

Archived