Premed 101 Forums

Chances at British Schools Based on Academic Standing

Hello all,

Any opinions on what my chances are at the top British schools?

I am a Canadian student from Ontario (Queen's University).

MCAT: 34 S (12 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS)

Note: I realize MCAT isn't used in the UK. I haven't taken the BMAT/UKCAT yet. I just want an idea of what people think based on the I information I have to give.

Science GPA: 3.96

cGPA: 3.94

Hello all,

Any opinions on what my chances are at the top British schools?

I am a Canadian student from Ontario (Queen's University).

MCAT: 34 S (12 PS, 10 VR, 12 BS)

Note: I realize MCAT isn't used in the UK. I haven't taken the BMAT/UKCAT yet. I just want an idea of what people think based on the I information I have to give.

Science GPA: 3.96

cGPA: 3.94

I'm guessing you want to apply to UK GEM 4 year programs? UK GEM programs are very very hard to get into even for UK students. If you want you can also try the UK 5 year/6 year programs although most of your classmates will be fresh out of high school.

In that case you probably will get an interview. Aim for over 680+ on your UKCAT. Between 630-680 you should avoid the schools that take the UKCAT heavily into account.

Why are you not applying to Canada or the US, why Britain?

You are correct that I am looking to apply to GEM 4 programs. I plan on applying to all 3 countries. I like the idea of going to school in Europe for a few reasons, which are not worth getting into in this forum. I'm really hoping to take a stab at the GEM programs at Oxford/Cambridge/ICL/etc. if I have any kind of a chance.

You are correct that I am looking to apply to GEM 4 programs. I plan on applying to all 3 countries. I like the idea of going to school in Europe for a few reasons, which are not worth getting into in this forum. I'm really hoping to take a stab at the GEM programs at Oxford/Cambridge/ICL/etc. if I have any kind of a chance.

Oxford and Cambridge are really difficult to gain entry into for an international looking to study medicine. Oxford had 381 applicants for 30 spots last year and my guess is they made at most 40 offers. They do say on their website that they treat internationals equally but for undergraduate medicine (6 year BA/BMBCh) they only accepted 1 international last year and 2 the year before that.

If you are applying to all 3 countries, I would only apply to the UK if they really are your first choice.

Its unlikely that you will be accepted to the UK (especially at the schools you listed above) without also being accepted to a Canadian/US school.

I have very little doubt you will be able to get a residency in Canada/US/UK, but it still is quite a bit of work to write the exams, deal with so many different systems and visa work.

Your grades certainly meet the competitive requirements as a 1:1 in the UK is generally compared to a 3.7 GPA in the US which would probably be a 3.8/9 in Canada.

Most programs require a 2:1 minimum.

For GEM programs you need to do very well on the UKCAT probably 630-680 isn't viable as i suggested above (630-680 would only be possible at one of the lower ranked schools on the 5 year program).

I never took the BMAT so i don't know the scoring system well, but of course do your best.

Archived