Premed 101 Forums

Preparation for 1st year at MAC - Anatomy

Guest MDHopeful04

Guest MDHopeful04

From previous posts, I've read that Anatomy is not formally covered at MAC, but there are many opportunities to learn it through organized learning sessions.

Nonetheless, I was wondering if someone could kindly suggest how best I could become familiar with Anatomy during the summer months. I haven't taken Anatomy at all (but have taken Physiology).

I found a few Anatomy books at the library, but they only have pictures and names of the parts. Would I simply memorize these? What else would I need to know?

Thanks!

Guest SammiMac

Hi there:

You are a step ahead---having the physiology behind you already is great! What I have found is that I use a few books; Guyton for physiology--you may find as you go along that you may need something a little more indepth--I have used the Lange series (you either lovem or hatem). For anatomy I am currently using Netter's which is okay, and quite pretty to look at, but, I might be better to pick something up that has both cadaveric and "netter-type" illustrations (i'm thinking of one in particular, but the name escapes me).

This, augmented by weekly sessions with the wonderful anatomy lab docs as well as tutorial, and you should be fine. I would hold off buying any anatomy text until you get here--you may be able to pick something up 2nd hand, or if you like the fresh-crisp look---our bookstore is quite good.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your summer, don't fret too much---(as it will be the last "long" summer in 3 years........)

See you in August!

Cheers, :D Shelley

Guest macMDstudent

Remember in anatomy there are basically 2 types of books. One is a textbook with some pictures but a lot of text describing things in detail and how they work. The other is an Atlas, which is essentially a bunch of labelled pictures. In my opinion you need both types of books to learn anatomy. Netter is an atlas that has very good drawings. Moore's "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" is a good textbook that has descriptions of the anatomy, along with "clinical pearls" of problems that can affect the anatomy. I enjoyed learning that way because it made anatomy more relevant than just a bunch of memorizing. However, as has been said previously, I wouldn't bother investing anything in books until you get there. Everybody has their favourites, and it is worth talking to other students and instructors before you lay out any cash.

Guest LoveMcGill

Hi,

Prior to the summer before my first year at McGill, I had taken neither anatomy nor physiology. That summer I picked up a book from Chapter’s “Anatomy and Physiology – The Easy Way” - CAN$19.96 and I’m glad I did. It was super easy, it made my learning structured and took me only a month to thoroughly finish.

Of course I didn’t learn all that I needed to know for med school but it made my life much easier in first year. Now I own a total of 11 anatomy texts and atlases. The text I find clearest, although sometime too wordy and occasionally incorrect, is Moore & Daleey’s “Clinically Oriented Anatomy” - ~$120. If you do not have to do bell-ringer exams on cadavers, Netter’s drawn “Atlas of Human Anatomy” - ~$90 should be sufficient for an atlas. I found Rohen & Yokochi’s “Color Atlas of Anatomy” - ~$95 which consists of labelled cadaver photograph, an invaluable tool for my bell-ringer exams. I have also invested a bit of money into getting a complete series of “Acland’s Video Atlas of Human Anatomy” - ~$300. It includes meticulously dissected specimens and concise spoken commentary; it helped me study even when I didn’t feel like studying.

Enjoy your first year, it’s an amazing ride!!!

Guest McMastergirl

My advice is, don't go too crazy learning anatomy (or anything) before you start med school. There are 2 reasons for this;

1. you won't remember it anyway. TRUST me. If there's one thing I've learned at Mac, it's that you need context to remember things.

2. you should be having fun! Relaxing! Doing things you won't have time to do once school starts. There will be time to learn the relevant anatomy once you are into the units. Unit one is relatively lax so you can concentrate on anatomy in your spare time then, if you choose, plus you will have access to Mac's wonderful anatomy lab.

Remember, doctors are not anatomists. You do not need to know anatomy in expert detail in med school... I never took anatomy, and I have done just fine. I learned the relevant anatomy as I went along, and remembered it much better having some context to learn it in.

• 12 years later...

Hi,

Prior to the summer before my first year at McGill, I had taken neither anatomy nor physiology. That summer I picked up a book from Chapter’s “Anatomy and Physiology – The Easy Way” - CAN$19.96 and I’m glad I did. It was super easy, it made my learning structured and took me only a month to thoroughly finish.

Of course I didn’t learn all that I needed to know for med school but it made my life much easier in first year. Now I own a total of 11 anatomy texts and atlases. The text I find clearest, although sometime too wordy and occasionally incorrect, is Moore & Daleey’s “Clinically Oriented Anatomy” - ~$120. If you do not have to do bell-ringer exams on cadavers, Netter’s drawn “Atlas of Human Anatomy” - ~$90 should be sufficient for an atlas. I found Rohen & Yokochi’s “Color Atlas of Anatomy” - ~$95 which consists of labelled cadaver photograph, an invaluable tool for my bell-ringer exams. I have also invested a bit of money into getting a complete series of “Acland’s Video Atlas of Human Anatomy” - ~$300. It includes meticulously dissected specimens and concise spoken commentary; it helped me study even when I didn’t feel like studying.

Enjoy your first year, it’s an amazing ride!!!

For Acland's Video Atlas of Human Anatomy, McGill actually provides free access! 

I would recommend studying anatomy on your own in the summer if you wish. School can start off pretty fast and Mac really spends time focusing on the pathology, physiology and treatment as opposed to the more basic sciences. So if you have the time, I would recommend it. 

Archived