Premed 101 Forums

BC Minister's Son Beat Odds to Win Residency Spot

This kind of thing happens all the time...there are many unqualified people in medicine and even more in dentistry, thanks to their hefty connections!! Of course, there are far more people who actually deserve to be there. Not sure what happened here, but he better be qualified...cardiac surgery is no joke!

Fortunately, mommy and daddy won't be able to pull any strings when their ass gets sued for failing to provide standard care later on...

Do you want me to name the people? I don't think there is research lab dedicated to this topic of "who got into medical school with connections"...wish there was though....:)

I think perhaps unqualified is not the right term....undeserving would be a better term! You can be qualified and still undeserving....

Do you want me to name the people? I don't think there is research lab dedicated to this topic of "who got into medical school with connections"...wish there was though....:)

I think perhaps unqualified is not the right term....undeserving would be a better term! You can be qualified and still undeserving....

Every single field out there is like this. What did you expect, that medicine was flawless, transparent and so pure and honest?

But to answer your question, I expect medicine to be different because of their whole emphasis on "ethics"...you should preach what you teach...also, i expect more because it is impacting people's health....

Yeah I understand what you mean. Personally I just think that's bullsh*t for the interviews and the public. Disappointing.

so all we know is that this person got a residency spot, which was unfilled by north american applicants and was then open to international applicants (which he is). No one can speak to his academic and clinical capabilities but since he is born into a family which have the potential to create these 'opportunities', he is automatically cited as being a recipient of those opportunities?

ok...

Medicine is, and always has been, an old rich white boys (and girls) club.

Even though there are visible minorities in medicine, and quite a lot of them, you can bet that the rich white guys and girls on top, absent political pressure or blatantly obvious racism, pick other rich white guys and girls to succeed them.

But in this guy's case, cardiac surgery isn't even remotely competitive. You can't really decide whether nepotism was involved until you find out what kind of competition the guy had, if any.

Brooksbane, you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way. Out of curiosity, are you speaking from a specific experience? If your comfortable sharing, I'm really interested in finding out what led you to this conclusion.

Also, I am quite confident in the pool of IMGs this year that there are non-white folks that can blast the sh*t out of this residency program better than the guy they accepted and who have stronger track records.

Case in point: is a former non-white IMG resident of UBC's program Dr. Srivastava (mentioned this in a different thread), the guy performed the first robotic endoscopic quadruple bypass graft.

Archived