Premed 101 Forums

Would you risk taking a year off?

Hey everyone-I hope this isn't a silly question but I was hoping to get some input from those who have been through the admissions process for OT and PT. I got accepted to OT this year and I was really grateful but I can't shake the feeling that I would like PT better. I don't know what I was thinking when I applied to OT only. I'm feeling pretty guilty about tying up a spot when other people seem fully committed.

I'm debating taking a year to think it through and hopefully use the time to get some more experience and maturity, but I'm scared of being rejected from OT and PT next year since since the standard seems to be rising so much. What do you think?

Whats your GPA? I think you need to decide base on if you're willing to risk not getting in next year. For example, if you're at sGPA 3.76 this year, then I think its safe to say that you won't get in next year for PT. But if you're at 3.81 or something, then yes you will have a shot next year.

Thanks for replying, I should have mentioned that. I'm not worried about my GPA (3.95)-but I don't trust myself with interviews. They're almost a year off and I'm already terrified. For UofT, the CAP seems a bit less intimidating but I can definitely see myself screwing that up :(. And Queen's doesn't have interviews for PT (I'm pretty sure?) but they rejected me for OT already so I'm not banking on that.

That said, as soon as you replied I felt like an idiot because I realized I should be safe for UWO, even though it wouldn't be my top choice.

Thanks for replying, I should have mentioned that. I'm not worried about my GPA (3.95)-but I don't trust myself with interviews. They're almost a year off and I'm already terrified. For UofT, the CAP seems a bit less intimidating but I can definitely see myself screwing that up :(. And Queen's doesn't have interviews for PT (I'm pretty sure?) but they rejected me for OT already so I'm not banking on that.

That said, as soon as you replied I felt like an idiot because I realized I should be safe for UWO, even though it wouldn't be my top choice.

lol yeah I was going to say you'd have western, but only if you have the prereqs!

In your situation, I would take a year off. You're not going to be rejected because of GPA. Having said that, I feel like you haven't set your mind yet in terms of pursuing a career. You sound like you don't know what you want to do. If you're truly passionate about PT, you wouldn't worry about the interviews as the interviews are there to see if you can "talk" (which is a important trait to be a PT).

During your year off, you can actually reflect and see if PT is truly what you want to do. Go volunteer and see if this is for you! Being rejected for OT with 3.95~ means you probably didn't put alot of effort for the essays =\. In addition, with 3.95, you'll be in a very good position for UTs CAP; meaning if you go in and write something you'd probably be accepted to UT due to your high GPA lol.

Hi clumsyballerina, if you can afford to take a year off in terms of time and money, you should be safe to reapply and get into both Western OT and PT as your gpa is pretty high! If your heart isn't in OT right now, you might spend your first year should you accept, wondering whether you'd be better off in a PT program and second guessing yourself. Because your gpa is safe, perhaps you could use the year to improve on other aspects of the application - volunteer experience and extracurricular activities, gain work experience, etc. so it wouldn't be a wasted year. Gaining these experiences would also help your chances in getting into the programs, in particular Queens (also, you're correct that Queens does not hold interviews for both OT and PT).

In terms of the interviews and CAP, they are definitely things you can work on! Don't let them stop you from trying for certain programs! I'd say your gpa is safe to land you interviews and the CAP - knowing that, you can start prepping asap! They are skills you need in life - especially if you are hoping to work with patients as an OT or PT, being confident in interviews and speaking are really important. Please don't keep thinking that you'll definitely screw up! I can understand that it's terrifying even though they are a year away and perhaps the feeling will never go away completely, but if you work on them, you'll slowly get better. Stay positive and good luck making your decision! :)

Thanks for your advice (: It's a terrible feeling, thinking the only good thing about your application is your GPA lol. I've wanted to be an OT or PT for a long time, it just seems like everyone else is set on one or the other. I've just always loved working/volunteering with kids and teens with disabilities, seeing their mobility and functioning improve over time and knowing that PT and OT have a role in that. I love the science behind it and the human side as well. But the differences between the two fields are enough that it deserves serious thought. For sure.

PurpleOT, you're right, interviewing is a skill that can be improved. I know I'm at least better (with job interviews) than I was 2 years ago. Maybe I just work them up into a scarier thing than they actually are? And I have time to take a year off, even with some people saying to keep an eye on the biological clock (I'm 20, so really? lol). I hate taking risks ): But I feel better now anyway.

As a PT grad myself, I can tell you that for my program anyways (University of Montreal, BScPT 2005-2008), the first year was similar for PT/OT. We took anatomy and pathology together, for example. It's worth looking into the course load, to see if you'll be able to transfer some of your OT courses should you change your mind. I was the opposite to you, I only applied to PT, and once I started, OT seemed so interesting, I almost regretted it. But... 5 years later, I'm happy with my choice as a PT. I think they're both great professions, and it really depends on where your interests lie, but it's not necessarily where you think, because I personally went in thinking I would work in neuro/peds, but ended up in private ortho!

I'm also a believer that things do happen for a reason, so if you only applied to OT, why not give it a try!?

Archived