Premed 101 Forums

Are we students?

Ha - probably a silly question - but now that I am a resident and just paid 600 dollars for somethings are we actually students at the school or just employees? Do I actually get a student card, access to the library and other facilities etc? I guess I am not exactly sure what we are :)

Under PAIRO, residents have dual status as students and employees. I would expect that you will have a student card and university library access. However, it is a special student status, so you may or may not have access to things like athletic facilities without extra fees (especially if the undergrad body is assessed a dedicated fee and you are not), so you will have to look into each service separately.

I know you're in Ottawa, but in Quebec, residents are considered employees and full time students at the same time. That's why we have no interest on our gvnt loans until the end of residency.

Yeah I know we don't have that here in Ontario :)

Is that "special student status" full time, part time....do those terms even apply?

Is that "special student status" full time, part time....do those terms even apply?

I don't think so. Basically, from the university side, you're registered under PGME for the academic year, in the same manner as your CPSO educational license.

Hospital pay stub might have full-time hours attached to it, but we know those numbers bear no resemblance to reality ;)

I don't think so. Basically, from the university side, you're registered under PGME for the academic year, in the same manner as your CPSO educational license.

Hospital pay stub might have full-time hours attached to it, but we know those numbers bear no resemblance to reality ;)

ha - true :)

Still if we are students of sorts then there are few things we might be able to do. Even as simple as getting normal student discounts for instance.

Even as simple as getting normal student discounts for instance.

Yes, you certainly can (assuming Ottawa doesn't give you a visitor/staff ID instead of a student ID.. check with current residents). Though the rare discriminating cashier will note the special status, or the lack of a 2013-2014 sticker, or whatever it is that discriminates your ID from the other undergrads, and then you may be explaining why you are special :) I think this is why Greyhound requests a current enrollment form in addition to the ID card.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived