Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine

Is there an advantage of doing an optional 3rd year after the 2 years of postgraduate residency training in Family Medicine? I have read...

"The main objective of the additional training is to prepare graduates to be able to offer added services to their patients as part of their broad-based or comprehensive continuing care family practices."

... but I am not too sure what that means in regards to practice, hospital privileges, salary, etc.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated :)

I am heading into 2nd year med so take my advice with that in mind (just a beginner:) ) . Anyhow, doing a third year or often referred to as a 'plus 1' opens up additional career tracks depending on what you choose to do in that third year. For example, if you do a +1 in emergency medicine you can work as an emergency physician in small to medium sized emergency rooms. Some would say that not having the 5 year royal college emerg. residency closes doors to centers like Toronto, Vancouver and so on. I feel that there are plenty of high volume, high acuity centers still hiring 2+1 emerg docs that your career will still be very high excitement without the 5 yr.

I know less about the other +1 options though I have heard the +1 in anesth. allows one to work in northern/rural areas where 5 yr anesthesiologists are scarce though one's career will be limited to low-moderate risk surgical cases.

From my understanding any other +1s may not necessarily confer additional career options (i.e. +1 in obs) as much as make you feel more competent in full range practice. I mean family physicians can deliver babies however they might feel more confident with an additional year of training if they are the only doc in a large geographic area in a rural-northern setting or if you wish to concentrate a lot of your practice in a certain area of practice.

Salary wise its a hard call because family physicians can work as much or as little as they want so you can make a great living without a plus 1 but arguably the variety of practice settings is a bit more limited though family practice is already so various that you wouldnt be missing out if you werent interested in moderate sized emerg setting and doing low-moderate acuity anesthesiology.

Thats my opinion at this early stage in my training.

Beef

Is there an advantage of doing an optional 3rd year after the 2 years of postgraduate residency training in Family Medicine? I have read...

"The main objective of the additional training is to prepare graduates to be able to offer added services to their patients as part of their broad-based or comprehensive continuing care family practices."

... but I am not too sure what that means in regards to practice, hospital privileges, salary, etc.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated :)

Depends on what you mean by "worth it". In general sports medicine isn't an incredibly lucrative area of focus, but the people who train in it and get involved with training programs and sports teams love what they do and get a chance to apply their medical knowledge to a sports setting.

Worth it as in getting Sports Medicine patients vs. Emergency Med patients.

OP

I suggest you follow this link

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75570

these are all the 'extra' things or 'interesting' things you can do in FM with or without +1

Also, +1 ER designation is probably the most practical one out of the above as it is a determining factor in if you can work in big ER departments in the cities or not (in rural hospitals, you don't need a +1 EM designation since they are just in need of docs)

But all the others are essentially extra year of training so you can semi-specialize in that area of interest and make it a significant part of your practice --- but you don't necessarily need a +1 in HIV to work with HIV patients, but it helps

some things like palliative care and care of elderly are quite specialized and allows you to develop skills to work with patients in palliative care and geriatrics programs so those are quite useful too

sports med is also good so you can focus more on seeing patients with MSK injuries and sports-related injuries -- and maybe work in a special clinic that only does sport-injuries etc so it takes the load off the ER

idk you can be really creative in family med hahaha

Archived