Premed 101 Forums

Should I apply to MUNMED?

I have been searching the web for information about MUN MED in relation to MD program rankings, the hospital network attached to MUN MED, the MUN curriculum, the opportunities available, the surrounding city of St. John's etc. but information has been scarce other than what's on the website. MUN is not on any of the rankings by Maclean's or anywhere else...

So I'm just wondering - for those who go to MUN MED what are some of the advantages/disadvantages you see? Also, if you were accepted by MUNMED, why did YOU accept/reject MUNMED?

Couple of things: First, the rankings that are published by Maclean's are not exclusive to the institution's medical school, so to base your decision on those would be a mistake as they are not representative of the UGME you will receive. Your best bet would be to look at a program's Carms match rate. MUN tends to match very well. Secondly, assuming you are an OP applicant, what are you looking for in a school? Do you want to be in a class of 250 or 80?

Maclean's has a medicine/doctoral section which is what I was looking at. Any idea why Memorial isn't on that?

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2012/11/01/2013-medical-doctoral/

What is a CARMS match rate? I am not too familiar with the whole med process yet tbh..

I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for yet, I am just trying to gather information. What kinds of advantages/disadvantages does a smaller vs. larger class hold? What kind of advantages/disadvantages apply to MUNMED?

Thanks for your help!

Medicine/Doctoral is a category of university that Maclean's puts schools into based on the programs that are offered at that institution. It is not an actual ranking of their UGME which is all that really matters for medical students. I found this a bit confusing at one point too. Carms match rate is discussed on this forum quite a bit. The most telling stat is what percentage of graduates match with their first choice residency program. Do a little bit of searching on here and it shouldn't be hard to find a thread discussing this. Smaller vs. larger class is usually a case of personal preference. I don't think there is any real advantage/disadvantage in terms of the education of small vs large classes. I chose to attend MUN based mostly on: the feel I got when I was over there for an interview, their curriculum, and the city.

Medicine/Doctoral is a category of university that Maclean's puts schools into based on the programs that are offered at that institution. It is not an actual ranking of their UGME which is all that really matters for medical students. I found this a bit confusing at one point too. Carms match rate is discussed on this forum quite a bit. The most telling stat is what percentage of graduates match with their first choice residency program. Do a little bit of searching on here and it shouldn't be hard to find a thread discussing this. Smaller vs. larger class is usually a case of personal preference. I don't think there is any real advantage/disadvantage in terms of the education of small vs large classes. I chose to attend MUN based mostly on: the feel I got when I was over there for an interview, their curriculum, and the city.

I second this. When comparing UofT and MUN, they both have spiral curricula (as of 2013). St John's/MUN interviews were my favorite by far. Atlantic Canadians are probably the most friendly people on Earth (I'm probably biased.... :D). Also - MUN is getting a brand new med building for this fall.

But really, people can tell you a million times over why they prefer one school over the other, but they aren't going to be the ones going to med for you. It has to be based on your preference (or where you get accepted, in which case it's based on adcom's preference!).

My two cents.

Also, St John's has puffins.

Archived