Premed 101 Forums

34 (8 VR/12/14) MCAT, 3.95 cGPA. Chances?

Hi guys,

I'm going to be applying soon (hopefully) and I'm trying to judge which schools to apply. My MCAT is very imbalanced so I pretty much looked up any school that accepted international students and had at least 8 VR acceptances for their bottom 10th percentile in MSAR. This is the list I've compiled so far:

Rosalind Franklin

Geroge Washington University

Howard

Jefferson Medical college

Loma Linda

Louisiana State university

Wisconsin

Miharry medical college

Michigan state

New York medical college

oakland university

Pensylvania state

New York Upstate

Tulane University

University of Colorado

University of Hawaii

University of Kentucky

University of Louisville

University of Minnesota

University of Verginia

Wayne state

I have pretty strong research experience (2 NSERCs, currently making abstract) and average ECs (tutoring, shadowing, volunteering). I was wondering if would be worthwhile to apply for some 'reach' schools. Also, do schools in 'merica look at total MCAT or individual sections? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Stay in Canada! With a 34 MCAT and cGPA of 3.95, you are very good for some schools. I had similar stats (9VR though) and I was accepted at 4 schools in Canada.

I would hope you are considering Canadian schools as well and are just backing up in case?

Stay in Canada! With a 34 MCAT and cGPA of 3.95, you are very good for some schools. I had similar stats (9VR though) and I was accepted at 4 schools in Canada.

I would love to stay in Canada but I don't think I have a shot at schools here with their hard cut-offs/emphasis on verbal. I'm an Ontario, GTA resident so out of province is a long shot as well. I'll probably apply to Toronto for kicks though. I should also point out that my Canadian cGPA is 3.90 with a 3.69 for my 4th year. In other words, Ottawa is out.

I would love to stay in Canada but I don't think I have a shot at schools here with their hard cut-offs/emphasis on verbal. I'm an Ontario, GTA resident so out of province is a long shot as well. I'll probably apply to Toronto for kicks though. I should also point out that my Canadian cGPA is 3.90 with a 3.69 for my 4th year. In other words, Ottawa is out.

Have you thought of moving? Moving to Alberta, Quebec or BC may give you IP status in one of these provinces. You should definitely consider this option. If I did not get accepted this cycle, I will seriously consider moving.

I myself would never pay $200,000 (in reality, it's definitely more than $200,000) to get an MD from any of the the US schools you have listed above. Not meant to be elitist, but these schools are at best ordinary, and with grades and mcat like yours, you are better off trying for Canadian schools. Apply broadly, and be sure to check the academic requirements of every Canadian school carefully. Some schools drop your worst year as long as it's not your most recent year. Since you mess up your 4th year, do a fifth year to make it up.

Archived