Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship electives if interested in Gen Surg

question you gotta ask yourself is gen sx or ortho. and then what you want to do under each. (if you like anatomy and like fixing stuff, I suggest seriously shadowing ortho, and I don't mean ortho arthroplasty but ortho trauma the work is very satisfying if you enjoy working with your hands. Don't take my word for it check it out!).

Try to shadow a whole shift (24hr) see if you like what they really do in each speciality! Best of luck!

question you gotta ask yourself is gen sx or ortho. and then what you want to do under each. (if you like anatomy and like fixing stuff, I suggest seriously shadowing ortho, and I don't mean ortho arthroplasty but ortho trauma the work is very satisfying if you enjoy working with your hands. Don't take my word for it check it out!).

Try to shadow a whole shift (24hr) see if you like what they really do in each speciality! Best of luck!

Hey!

Thanks for the response. I've done some shadowing in ortho and I think I'm really more into gen surg. I was kinda just looking to get some advice on what types of electives I should be planning for 3rd/4th year.

For gen sx, I think its important to see all of the variety it has to offer, after all its called General Surgery for a reason. You can really show off your diversity of interest by doing some HBP, colorectal, thoracic, neck etc. One of the best experiences that I think you can have as a medical student is doing rural surgery. The surgeons let you get involved, you can learn without being pressured, and see a big variety as well. Plus, I think rural surgeons can probably write you some of the strongest letters since they don't see students everyday. Drawback being that they are not connected to academia and the program (but I think that has very little value anyway).

Archived