Premed 101 Forums

Wondering about the basics!

Hi everyone,

I may be jumping the gun here as I've only just finished second year in the BKin program at UBC. However, I want to start getting information and prepping for these OT/PT program applications now! I don't have much experience volunteering so far, but am looking into starting soon! I'm just wondering how you went about getting placements in clinics, hospitals, care facilities, etc? I want to make sure I have strong volunteer placements, but don't really know where or how to start (it's only a bit overwhelming!)

Thanks for helping a newb out! :P

Phone or email around to some private clinics. Most hospitals or homes have a website with a volunteer application section, and they probably want a year of your time. There are children's organizations that do the same as well. If you don't have any connections through school placements, I'd suggest Google. It can help with places around your area. If there's no place for a volunteer application, email or phone works. Tell them who you are, what you're studying, and why you want to volunteer.

I started in a retirement/LTC home where I did my psychology placements. I emailed the volunteer coordinator I already had contact with an asked of any OT/PT services they had. She informed me of their PT department and I started to volunteer there. Through that, I met a PTA who was extremely helpful and in contact with a local PT clinic. She showed me where it was and the name, and I emailed them asking to volunteer. I mentioned I knew her from the LTC home and it was fine. I volunteered at a children's rehabilitation centre through email correspondence. I knew about the place as people from my program volunteere there. I also used connections of people from my work who knew coordinators and places to volunteer.

If you have no connections it's not a big deal, just phone/email around. Many places loves volunteers!

Archived