Premed 101 Forums

ethics

costar

Does anyone know if we get an ethics orientation before we start PGY1? e.g. not treating your family, friends, and whether you're allow to write scripts outside of hospital? PS does anyone know what the penalty is if we do it? Are there exceptions if theres an emergency? Who is the judge of what is appropriate?

Does anyone know if we get an ethics orientation before we start PGY1? e.g. not treating your family, friends, and whether you're allow to write scripts outside of hospital? PS does anyone know what the penalty is if we do it? Are there exceptions if theres an emergency? Who is the judge of what is appropriate?

I believe the document Lactic Folly referenced applies only to physicians with an independent license.

What province are you in? Have you received your Certificate of Registration yet?

My CPSO certificate says "Dr. Laika shall prescribe drugs only for in-patients or out-patients of a clinical teaching unit that is formally affiliated with the dept...."

If you're curious, you can ask your College if they have a similar rule, and if so, what the penalty is for breaking it.

I think it's unlikely you'd be caught. But why even try f*cking with the CPSO? They can make your life and your career miserable if you give them a reason to.

I believe the document Lactic Folly referenced applies only to physicians with an independent license.

What province are you in? Have you received your Certificate of Registration yet?

My CPSO certificate says "Dr. Laika shall prescribe drugs only for in-patients or out-patients of a clinical teaching unit that is formally affiliated with the dept...."

You're right - we should be looking at the postgraduate education license. My mistake- thanks for catching that.

Cool thanks! Not that I was thinking of violating the law, but who oversees this? Also, say if you were a doctor in the same hospital you were a patient in, could you look at your own lab results?

Definitely no. Hospitals are generally very strict about these things. To look at your own files, you either need to request it through your physician, or through health records. At Capital Health in Halifax, the hospital system even times your login to the health records. So the auditors can see how long you've spent reading each patient's files, and exactly which files you looked at.

Archived