Premed 101 Forums

Paying for international fees

Just wondering how some of you guys are paying for medical or dental school in the US.

The fees are around 50-60k a year and that's around $240,000 just for tuition.

I know there's bank loans of $200,000 you can get but that really isn't enough to cover living expenses and tuition.

are there other ways to pay for your tuition?(not counting scholarships)

Just wondering how some of you guys are paying for medical or dental school in the US.

I know there's bank loans of $200,000 you can get but that really isn't enough to cover living expenses and tuition.

Parental support.

Cost is higher than that... more like 70K/year. Wayne State is like 90K/year.

I have met multiple people (two) who have been accepted to American schools and then found out they cannot pay for it.

Most schools will not provide you any scholarships or loans and Canadians are not eligible for US government loans. I think only the top schools provide financial assistance to Canadians.

I think you pretty much need parental support.

Cost is higher than that... more like 70K/year. Wayne State is like 90K/year.

I have met multiple people (two) who have been accepted to American schools and then found out they cannot pay for it.

Most schools will not provide you any scholarships or loans and Canadians are not eligible for US government loans. I think only the top schools provide financial assistance to Canadians.

I think you pretty much need parental support.

given your information above if some schools are 90k for tuition a year that's around 360k just for tuition!!!

plus living expenses which i'm guessing is around 15k or 20k a year for 4 years that's around 80k. for 4 years of living expenses.

so added together it's around 440k

Just wondering how people without parental support can even go?

Myself personally will probably have parental support but it's hard to see your parents fork out 250k when they don't have that much to begin with.....

Anyone in the same both?

given your information above if some schools are 90k for tuition a year that's around 360k just for tuition!!!

plus living expenses which i'm guessing is around 15k or 20k a year for 4 years that's around 80k. for 4 years of living expenses.

so added together it's around 440k

Just wondering how people without parental support can even go?

Myself personally will probably have parental support but it's hard to see your parents fork out 250k when they don't have that much to begin with.....

Anyone in the same both?

70K-80K per year for most schools would include all expenses. I'm not getting any parental support, only provincial loans (minimal) and the rest by a bank LOC

70K-80K per year for most schools would include all expenses. I'm not getting any parental support, only provincial loans (minimal) and the rest by a bank LOC

Can you also let us know what bank you went with and how much they offered you?

I know it might be a somewhat personal but I really need help with that cause I am thinking of accepting my detroit mercy dentistry offer, yet can't really seem to find any canadian bank for LOC enough to cover their 240K 4-years tuition.

the cost is waaaaay more than that.. it adds up to more than $400k... thats why most Canadians avoid going over to us just so they can save that $200k. Plus some schools even require you to have 400$ in your bank prior to entering med/dental school and banks will NOT give you the whole loan at first.

My tuition is around 50K/year, and including other fees, would add up to about 75K/year. So I've been going with a ballpark figure of 300K.

After talking with several banks, I went with CIBC (225K limit), they seem to have the best repayment options plus I've been banking with them all my life. Provincial loans add up to about 40K. I know I'm a bit short but when I'm in 3rd year or so and still enrolled and in good standing, it wouldn't be a problem to re-apply for the addition 40K to finish up (the bank said it's pretty common)

The debt is definitely a huge burden after you graduate and I've given a lot of thought into going or not, but I'm all in now :)

hope that helps

Can you also let us know what bank you went with and how much they offered you?

I know it might be a somewhat personal but I really need help with that cause I am thinking of accepting my detroit mercy dentistry offer, yet can't really seem to find any canadian bank for LOC enough to cover their 240K 4-years tuition.

the cost is waaaaay more than that.. it adds up to more than $400k... thats why most Canadians avoid going over to us just so they can save that $200k. Plus some schools even require you to have 400$ in your bank prior to entering med/dental school and banks will NOT give you the whole loan at first.

yeah I realize that some schools like NYU have dental tuition of 80k per year.

Plus I heard living in NYC isn't that cheap either so it'll be around 100k per year in terms of all the added up expenses.

I think that's where you got your "more than 400k" from but I thought NYU is one of the more expensive schools(especially for dentistry) with tuition around 80k a year where as other schools are around 50-60k

Seeing how some banks only lend you 200k......and provincial loans are 40k from the information that i got above that's only 240k....no where near the 400k that you need.

my question still remains.....without parental support how do you guys pay for it...????

• 1 month later...

Beyond LOC and Provincial loans the only other source of savings is basically just that, savings. Combine what you can get from loans with what you have saved up and that is pretty much what you have to deal with. Additionally, if you are lucky there might be some scholarships you can apply for.

My friends that have been accepted into med and optometry also work or do research projects in the break between years but that's about it for extra income.

For this reason, cost is a very realistic limitation for a person to attend dental or medical school. (Which sucks)

• 10 months later...

I've heard stories (and that is all they are, at this point) of Canadian students moving to the state their medical school will be in a year prior, and then applying for tuition without international fees.

This story came from Wayne State and the Canadian student was from Toronto, Ontario (so they didn't qualify for the "Good Neighbour" policy).

Is anyone aware of these types of scenarios to avoid incurring the high cost of being an international student?

Archived