Premed 101 Forums

Introvert expriences

I will be starting medical school this Fall and I am very excited.

I would consider myself an introvert - I love spending time with people, but also need "quiet time" to recharge.

I am not shy. I love meeting new people, listening to stories and asking questions, but I am one of those who prefer hanging out in smaller groups etc rather than the big social gatherings.

I would love to hear other introverts' experiences in med school. I am guessing it is primarily an extrovert environment?

I will be starting medical school this Fall and I am very excited.

I would consider myself an introvert - I love spending time with people, but also need "quiet time" to recharge.

I am not shy. I love meeting new people, listening to stories and asking questions, but I am one of those who prefer hanging out in smaller groups etc rather than the big social gatherings.

I would love to hear other introverts' experiences in med school. I am guessing it is primarily an extrovert environment?

I'm in the same situation as you and also consider myself to be an introvert. It's not that I'm shy or anything, but like you, I sometimes need "quiet time" and I can feel overwhelmed in a large group/party enviro. I think we'll be totally fine in med school because from personal experience, introverted docs sometimes give off a 'calm confident' attitude that patients tend to appreciate a lot ;)

This thread reminds me of a comic I saw the other day that I thought described me better than I've ever been able to put into words:

How to Live with Introverts (PDF available!)

(sorry I tried to post it directly but the image is too large)

QFT. If it makes you feel better OP, I feel like I am the same. I am hyper active among my own group of friends but do not enjoy activities where lots of strangers are involved. Think of it this way OP, you made it through your orientation for your first undergrad, why worry now?

Archived