Premed 101 Forums

research pay

dr-m-s

Doing research in academia is generally quite low-paying, even if you get scholarships/bursaries. You work on a salary basis, so your hourly wage depends on how hard your PI works you. I've had friends who calculated that they work for as little as $6/hour. Best case scenario if you have a chill PI and get good grants - you might get up to $11/hour.

During undergrad $11/hr, after undergrad and working as a tech ~$24/hr but I was on salary and generally didnt work a full 8 hrs a day since I work efficiently so it was an awesome job haha

My experience is similar to this. Honestly, as an undergrad, you don't really deserve more than 10 or 12 bucks an hour. If you are lucky enough to have a supervisor(during graduate school) that pays you during the summer, you are probably looking at 10-20 bucks an hour. If you have an MSc and are working as a research tech, probably15-25 an hour. I never had a research job during undergrad but I wouldn' have expected to make 20+ just because it's research. Dream on.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Your best bet is to talk to profs that know you from your classes, where you've done well in their class. It is easier to request a position if your university has a "work study" program where the university will subsidize your wage. Look into whether your university has this and discuss this possibility with your profs.

Undergrad researchers are essentially cheap labourers. There are so many students seeking these positions that they can get away with minimum wage. Realistically, your hourly wage can be even lower given you're required to stay longer in the lab/work on your own time..

Archived