Premed 101 Forums

Questions about carms :)

Hi everyone! I have two questions:

1. I heard carms apps are due in third year for those in a fourth year program. What is the rationale for this? Aren't people still updating their resume in their third year and part of fourth year? :s

2. How far back are you listing activities? I know for omsas I went all the way back to grade 8, but in carms, do people tend to focus on medical school stuff? Or do they put everything imaginable that they have done?

Thank you

you could have answered your first question by using this amazing thing called "google" or even easier going to http://www.carms.ca

Then you would have figured out that Carms apps are only due in November of your 4th year. The match happens in early March.

In terms of the information you submit in your application, I don't think your grade 8 honour roll, job at burger king or debate team captain will be relevant. Stick to accomplishments during your undergrad and med school.

you could have answered your first question by using this amazing thing called "google" or even easier going to http://www.carms.ca

Then you would have figured out that Carms apps are only due in November of your 4th year. The match happens in early March.

In terms of the information you submit in your application, I don't think your grade 8 honour roll, job at burger king or debate team captain will be relevant. Stick to accomplishments during your undergrad and med school.

Unless you did something amazing pre-undergrad. Olympic athlete, guitarist for a top 40 band, started a major charitable organization, served in Afghanistan and won a Victoria Cross etc.

I used a thing called google and came across a post on here where someone said they were due in third year. That's why I'm asking this question.

Not cool man. Show some respect. I don't talk down to anyone here.

Unless you did something amazing pre-undergrad. Olympic athlete, guitarist for a top 40 band, started a major charitable organization, served in Afghanistan and won a Victoria Cross etc.

yeah usually it is mostly what you did in medical school or other really long term stuff that goes back behind that - you want to impress but if you put in too much then you sound like you are padding :)

I used a thing called google and came across a post on here where someone said they were due in third year. That's why I'm asking this question.

Not cool man. Show some respect. I don't talk down to anyone here.

Interesting! Wrong of course but thus a valid question.

yeah usually it is mostly what you did in medical school or other really long term stuff that goes back behind that - you want to impress but if you put in too much then you sound like you are padding :)

That's why I said don't put it in unless it's really impressive and you think you might actually bring it up in interviews.

When I have reviewed residency applicants, I cared if they did something amazing before undergrad.

I didn't care if it was run of the mill stuff.

That's why I said don't put it in unless it's really impressive and you think you might actually bring it up in interviews.

When I have reviewed residency applicants, I cared if they did something amazing before undergrad.

I didn't care if it was run of the mill stuff.

I don't envy you having to do that review by the way. Separating out residency apps sounds extremely challenging.

Archived