Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Residency/Practice in US

Out of curiosity, what is required to work in the states after completing residency in Canada? I couldn't find an American source that is specific to Canadians and not IMG. I have read around some forums indicating you would need to write the USMLE in order to be licensed to work there. Is that all?

I would appreciate any feedback as this is intriguing if somewhere down the line someone wanted to practice there. Thanks.

Out of curiosity, what is required to work in the states after completing residency in Canada? I couldn't find an American source that is specific to Canadians and not IMG. I have read around some forums indicating you would need to write the USMLE in order to be licensed to work there. Is that all?

I would appreciate any feedback as this is intriguing if somewhere down the line someone wanted to practice there. Thanks.

It may depend on the state. I'm not 100% but each state works fairly independently.

For example I just looked at S. Carolina and they accept USMLE or LMCC it looks like.

Many states accept LMCC exams, so if you have American citizenship or a green card, it's fairly easy to transfer over. You just need to get board certified in the US for your specialty, which may involve writing that exam. However if you're not American, you will need a work visa first, and the federal government requires the USMLE exams to be completed, regardless of which state you want to work in. Don't take any of this as gospel as I tried to research this in the past and it wasn't easy to find clear answers, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Thanks for your insight! I guess it is more state specific rather than a national answer.

True, but again only if you have US citizenship or a green card or some other type of pre-approved work visa (e.g. J2). Otherwise the answer = you must do all the USMLE steps first before being eligible to work.

Archived