Premed 101 Forums

July 26th MCAT?

S76

I know how you feel! Although I'm getting a bit nervous now, one more day...! Any tips on how to spend the day before? Do people usually study? I will likely do some review earlier in the day and try to just relax in the evening.

I know how you feel! Although I'm getting a bit nervous now, one more day...! Any tips on how to spend the day before? Do people usually study? I will likely do some review earlier in the day and try to just relax in the evening.

DO NOT STUDY BEFORE THE TEST

lol sorry I just had to make it caps so you wouldn't make that mistake.

For what it's worth, I studied the day before the test and did really well. Everybody is different - do whatever feels best to you.

EDIT: Actually, to clarify, I wrote an AAMC practice test the day before. Trying to cram or learn new material that day is probably a bad idea.

Don't follow this advice if not studying is going to make you more anxious. That's the caveat that tends to be forgotten. As already stated above, just review things that are already known (i.e., avoid new material) and reduce your hours significantly.

• 5 weeks later...

OK. Marks are coming out today. My weakest suit is the VR (as with many other people). I have a spot for Sept. 7, but I've taken the MCAT 4 times before and only got 8-9 each time (although in the practice, I consistently pull up a 11 or 12). Sigh. Hope I get a 11 on VR this time...I'm so scared!

I just checked my July 26 scores too and ended up with a 10 in VR. Not the 11 I was hoping for but I'm happy with it (after getting a 9 last time).

Obviously I'm no VR expert but I started practicing for VR in May, choosing random opinion papers online to read. After every paper, I tried to summarize the main idea and recall what the author's main arguments were. Concurrently, I completed all the passages in both Examkrackers VR books (the thin prep one with lots of good advice on strategy + the thick book with 14 full VR tests). I started off completing a few tests without setting a timer, just to get a feel for the passage lengths, questions, and format. I then started timing myself for the latter tests and made sure I knew why I was making mistakes by studying the answer key. In my last 2 weeks of MCAT prep, I did 3 AAMC tests just for the VR practice.

How much did you practice for VR? What strategies did you use during the real exam? I found that quickly scribbling down whether the passage was a compare + contrast piece, an editorial, informative essay, or argumentative passage really helped frame my thinking. I also wrote down my impressions of the author as quickly as I could for the harder passages (ie: art history professor? scientist? philosopher? environmentalist?) and went from there. So knowing your scores, are you planning on re-writing?

This is the second time writing the MCAT for me, and I just wanted to give some word of encouragement. Even if VR is not your strength, you can still do well in that section Last year (first time writing), my mcat scores were 6 (VR) 14 (PS) and 11 (BS). My study was really focused on the science section, and I thought VR would be like normal reading comprehension. This year, I started VR in April, and wrote it on July 26th. I probably did an hour VR a day for the 3 months, taking it REALLY easy, baby step at a time... and looks like that really helped. This year my scores are 13/14/14 (V/P/B) so honestly, even if you don't feel very comfortable doing it, practice practice and practice. It is doable to move from 6 to 13

That's an amazing jump in VR. Congrats on the score!!

This is the second time writing the MCAT for me, and I just wanted to give some word of encouragement. Even if VR is not your strength, you can still do well in that section Last year (first time writing), my mcat scores were 6 (VR) 14 (PS) and 11 (BS). My study was really focused on the science section, and I thought VR would be like normal reading comprehension. This year, I started VR in April, and wrote it on July 26th. I probably did an hour VR a day for the 3 months, taking it REALLY easy, baby step at a time... and looks like that really helped. This year my scores are 13/14/14 (V/P/B) so honestly, even if you don't feel very comfortable doing it, practice practice and practice. It is doable to move from 6 to 13

Excellent score! Your hard work paid off. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Archived