Premed 101 Forums

2013 application cycle!

I'm applying to NOSM (actually every Ontario school except Western). Not from Northern Ontario, but I am from a semi-rural part of Eastern Ontario so I hope I've got a bit of a chance.

Well I'm from northern Ontario, I know there were a few people who got in last cycle that weren't from northern Ontario.

Why aren't you applying to Western?

Do you think there's any point if you're not from Northern Ontario AND you're not from a rural area? It seems like everyone who gets in is either from N.O. or from another rural area?

I'm really interested in rural and remote health, and I wrote my undergrad thesis on Inuit health in Inuit, but that's the closest I have to a demonstrable interest in northern Canada.

I'm thinking it's probably not worth it, but thought I'd ask.

Do you think there's any point if you're not from Northern Ontario AND you're not from a rural area? It seems like everyone who gets in is either from N.O. or from another rural area?

I'm really interested in rural and remote health, and I wrote my undergrad thesis on Inuit health in Inuit, but that's the closest I have to a demonstrable interest in northern Canada.

I'm thinking it's probably not worth it, but thought I'd ask.

You knwo what 1/3 of your pre interview score is your context. I would take a look aty the ssays, if you feel as though you can hit a home run on them I would say apply, although the odds are stacked against you.

As Wayne Gretzky said if you never shoot you never score.

You knwo what 1/3 of your pre interview score is your context. I would take a look aty the ssays, if you feel as though you can hit a home run on them I would say apply, although the odds are stacked against you.

As Wayne Gretzky said if you never shoot you never score.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

• 3 weeks later...
Last year there was one station that you could answer in French if you wanted to/felt comfortable, and then when the MMI was over, the people who said they were Francophone were taken for a separate evaluation before going to the school tour.

I am by no means Francophone, would answering this question in English be a negative? Would "bilingual" applicants also be taken for this evaluation if you note that your prefered language is English.

From what I understand, there's no penalty for answering the question in English. I remember them saying that unless you're sure you'll be able to answer the question and have a conversation in French, not to just try and do poorly. The webcast of the NOSM info night (on the NOSM site) explains the French language screening. It sounds like you don't have the be Francophone necessarily, but you would need to be able to provide information on why you're declaring yourself as bilingual (ie. from a French-speaking community, attending a Francophone high school (not French immersion), etc.). The webcast gave a good explanation, I just don't know all the details because unfortunately I'm not bilingual haha.

I remember last year they stressed that there was no advantage given to those who answered in french. I think the purpose is just so that people who are more comfortable speaking french opposed to english have one station where they can answer in french. I would just answer in whatever language you're the most comfortable speaking.

From what I understand, there's no penalty for answering the question in English. I remember them saying that unless you're sure you'll be able to answer the question and have a conversation in French, not to just try and do poorly. The webcast of the NOSM info night (on the NOSM site) explains the French language screening. It sounds like you don't have the be Francophone necessarily, but you would need to be able to provide information on why you're declaring yourself as bilingual (ie. from a French-speaking community, attending a Francophone high school (not French immersion), etc.). The webcast gave a good explanation, I just don't know all the details because unfortunately I'm not bilingual haha.

I interpreted those for being if you were to declare yourself as a Francophone applicant.

If you declare yourself as a francophone applicant (not bilingual) you go for the francophone evaluation. The NOSM admissions page has information on what qualifies one as a francophone (having gone through french immersion does not count. You must have french as your primary language, speak french at home, have gone to a francophone school etc...)

For the french optional question, there is no advantage if you answer in french. In fact, unless your french skills are proficient, you will do yourself a disservice by attempting to stumble through a french response rather than giving an eloquent and thoughtful english response. Both years I interviewed I entered that question and introduced myself in french and explained that while I am comfortable talking in french to patients at my work, I will be answering the question in english to make sure I conveyed my ideas and opinions adequately.

Just noticed NOSM posted their 2013 stats, so wanted to share them with you all.

Looks like average GPA made a massive leap this year (3.83) :eek: Rest of the stats seem pretty consistent though.

http://www.nosm.ca/classprofiles/

Hope you are all enjoying your summer!

I wouldn't worry too much about the GPA increase in last year's cycle. Like you said, all the other stats were pretty consistent. My GPA for last year's cycle only went up by 0.04 (with my 4th year grades included) and my standing went up significantly (hoping this year's my year). I feel like as long as you're around NOSM's typical successful applicant GPA (3.65-3.75ish) you can be very competitive if the rest of your application is solid :)

...Especially the interview

So is there an advantage appplying as a bilingual applicant?

I would say a little advantage over English only applicants if you can demonstrate how you have used your french (or plan on using your french) in a northern/rural context if you can work that into one of your MMI responses or into an essay question on your OMSAS app. Bilingual in itself is likely no advantage without showing how you will put it to use in NOSM's mandates. You are definitely not considered for the Francophone seats.

Interesting enough, I had a conversation with one of the instructors during O-week and while there are certain designated French and Aboriginal seats, they have never had to skip further down the rankings to fill those seats. They have always had enough of those applicants score high enough to get in "fair and square".

I would say a little advantage over English only applicants if you can demonstrate how you have used your french (or plan on using your french) in a northern/rural context if you can work that into one of your MMI responses or into an essay question on your OMSAS app. Bilingual in itself is likely no advantage without showing how you will put it to use in NOSM's mandates. You are definitely not considered for the Francophone seats.

Interesting enough, I had a conversation with one of the instructors during O-week and while there are certain designated French and Aboriginal seats, they have never had to skip further down the rankings to fill those seats. They have always had enough of those applicants score high enough to get in "fair and square".

I see that as happening mainly due to the context score being worth so much. Look no further than Ottawa to see how the French stream compares to the English one.Just saying...

• 1 month later...

Well I'm submitted feels nice and somewhat free even though I still have CASPer to do.

Hopefully I'll see everyone at the interviews in March/April.

Hey Beef any idea how they determine where your interview will be? ie: how likely am I to get placed in T-Bay? just curious as I have tons of friends at Laurentian and my parents may even make the 4 hour drive down to Sudbury (be like a tropical holiday going to Sudbury in March for them haha) to see me post-interview.

Archived