Premed 101 Forums

NSERC Question

MHCClassII

Hi,

I have some questions about the NSERC:

1. Do you need to arrange your own research supervisor?

2. Does each university choose students with high GPAs each year, or do you have to apply to express your interest? (I'd be really glad if someone could let me know how it works specifically at UTSC)

3. Is previous research experience mandatory?

EDIT:

I have some other research-related questions as well, I'm absolutely new to this so bear with me-

- I've read that it is recommended to read abstracts of papers from a prof's lab. I've tried to go through a few but I honestly don't seem to get much out of them. I don't know if its because they were from a field I'm not that interested in (I read some chem ones, whereas I'm more inclined towards bio) or due to lack of knowledge/coursework- finished first year.

-Also, people who have volunteered in research labs in undergrad, is it normal to have absolutely no idea what the abstract is saying, for instance, I've done first year general chem but I'm lost reading one of these abstracts for physical chem and what if I do get into a a research lab *hopefully* but I'm lost

-When looking for volunteer research position in the beginning, is it important to care about whether the lab's work interests you or if the're willing to take you in as a volunteer?

Hi,

I have some questions about the NSERC:

1. Do you need to arrange your own research supervisor?

2. Does each university choose students with high GPAs each year, or do you have to apply to express your interest? (I'd be really glad if someone could let me know how it works specifically at UTSC)

3. Is previous research experience mandatory?

EDIT:

I have some other research-related questions as well, I'm absolutely new to this so bear with me-

- I've read that it is recommended to read abstracts of papers from a prof's lab. I've tried to go through a few but I honestly don't seem to get much out of them. I don't know if its because they were from a field I'm not that interested in (I read some chem ones, whereas I'm more inclined towards bio) or due to lack of knowledge/coursework- finished first year.

-Also, people who have volunteered in research labs in undergrad, is it normal to have absolutely no idea what the abstract is saying, for instance, I've done first year general chem but I'm lost reading one of these abstracts for physical chem and what if I do get into a a research lab *hopefully* but I'm lost

-When looking for volunteer research position in the beginning, is it important to care about whether the lab's work interests you or if the're willing to take you in as a volunteer?

UTSC HERE!!! I'm currently doing a summer NSERC USRA. Alright so for NSERC, yes you need to find your own supervisor first before applying. Like nutrition runner above stated, not all schools automatically favour high gpa students HOWEVER this is not the case at our school. Unfortunately, it pretty much always goes to the individual with the highest GPA (so to have any sort of shot at it, you'll most likely need 3.85+). From my own gpa and from others I know who have received NSERC scholarships in the biological sciences department from previous years, we all had GPA's above 3.9. IT does not require any previous research experience but make sure you have a genuine interest in the research that your supervisor does!

Just want to mention that each department (so biological science and physcial science) has their own number of NSERC scholarships and each chooses their own students. The number of scholarships each dept has varies from year to year i think but from having talked to past NSERC holders from physical science department, the gpa competition is slightly lower (but only SLIGHTLY)

For your working in lab questions:

No you don't need to read the lab abstracts or papers. Usually if you are in first or second year, you don't yet have enough knowledge to understand everything a scientific paper says so don't worry. Both labs that I have worked in never asked me anything about their papers when I interviewed. Often times, if its just for a volunteer position (or workstudy), they just want to see that you are genuinely interested in their work and usually ask you about what you want to do in the future and tasks in the lab that they'd want you to do. Once you start volunteering in the lab and doing all the menial stuff (which every beginner labbie has to go through) this opens the door for research opportunities, whether through a supervised study or research that you conduct on your own time. Personally, I'd always go with lab research that interests me. Theres enough labs at utsc and many of the professors are always willing to take on volunteers so it doesn''t hurt to email and inquire. usually, it's good to send them an unofficial transcript and resume along with an inquiry email so they get a sense of the kind of student you are

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding research and NSERC at UTSC. I could go into more detail

Archived