Premed 101 Forums

Pass with Remedial/Supplementary Exam

I am a 1st year pre-clerk student who just passed my final exam with a supplementary exam (so yeah I failed first time), and my understanding is that this WILL show up on my transcript...

Is this a huge red flag, making me doomed for a CO2 field?

No chance for surgical specialty (excluding super competitive ones like ENT, Optho...) at all?

I am a 1st year pre-clerk student who just passed my final exam with a supplementary exam (so yeah I failed first time).

No chance for surgical specialty (excluding super competitive ones like ENT, Optho...) at all?

So upsetting :(

Probably fine. Just work your butt off the rest of the time. Clerkship is more important anyhow.

I am a 1st year pre-clerk student who just passed my final exam with a supplementary exam (so yeah I failed first time), and my understanding is that this WILL show up on my transcript...

Probably school dependent. However, after seeing transcripts from schools from across the land I would say the average is that only true failures, as in you failed and took the course/rotation again appear on most transcripts.

It probably does not matter. Just check with your med school student services to confirm.

Confirmed with the school...it WILL appear on my transcript that i passed with remediation, but it will NOT on MSPR (as in MSPR will just say pass)....:(

My understanding is that it is quite common for that to appear in some fashion (they are currently working on a standardized MSPR for all of Ontario where it definitely will to keep everything consistent).

It isn't great of course but it also doesn't have to destroy everything. I am not sure what you are interested in doing but of course working even harder from this point on is really the best and only thing you can do.

I hope they also standardize what appears on transcripts as well, as it seems whether or not the first fail appears on transcripts really depends on school.

hopefully - right now it is a mess - we have some schools with dozens of pages to their MSPR and others with a page and a half. How do you compare those as a program director? Are important details lost if it is not long enough or so long you just tune out?

As a pre-clerk, you haven't yet even seen or lived medicine.

Take a big breath, relax, enjoy your summer and come back for second year.

Leave your options open, because you never know how awesome you might find a field that you may have already discounted.

And if your desire for a competitive field remains genuine, it'll show itself enough for other people to recognize.

Medicine is awesome, life is good, and enjoy the time you have in school; it only comes once.

You're not doomed at all. I know people who failed preclerkship blocks and who got into ortho and radiology. And even though they were solid clersks afterwards, they didn't do anything special to make up for it. None of them had done research in their fields.

Imagine if everyone who failed a preclerkship course were doomed to go into pathology :S ... Most future pathologists would end up with a major depression.

My understanding is that it is quite common for that to appear in some fashion (they are currently working on a standardized MSPR for all of Ontario where it definitely will to keep everything consistent).

Just a FYI for readers:

Most schools are P/F these days. The transcripts of most just show that. Either a P or F. If you redid the course then you failed it the first time. If the course director gave you a pass, you passed the course.

The MSPR isn't worth anything. It use useless. With a few exceptions 99/100 applicants look exactly the same. Unless you really consistently sucked or did something grossly unprofessional then the MSPR is not very discriminatory. But the same pretty much goes for transcripts. One caveat, if you truly failed something that might stick out.

The part were you separate yourself from the pile of clones is on your CV and references. To a lesser extent your personal statement too. Those are the most important documents you will produce in med school.

Just a FYI for readers:

Most schools are P/F these days. The transcripts of most just show that. Either a P or F. If you redid the course then you failed it the first time. If the course director gave you a pass, you passed the course.

The MSPR isn't worth anything. It use useless. With a few exceptions 99/100 applicants look exactly the same. Unless you really consistently sucked or did something grossly unprofessional then the MSPR is not very discriminatory. But the same pretty much goes for transcripts. One caveat, if you truly failed something that might stick out.

The part were you separate yourself from the pile of clones is on your CV and references. To a lesser extent your personal statement too. Those are the most important documents you will produce in med school.

And to be honest, most references also look the same (every student is excellent, performs at the level of a junior resident, is well-liked, affable, empathetic, compassionate and up-to-date/knowledgeable).

After doing CaRMS selections, most people had stellar reference letters, which means they all ended up looking the same anyway. It was the interviews that really distinguished one candidate from another.

And to be honest, most references also look the same (every student is excellent, performs at the level of a junior resident, is well-liked, affable, empathetic, compassionate and up-to-date/knowledgeable).

After doing CaRMS selections, most people had stellar reference letters, which means they all ended up looking the same anyway. It was the interviews that really distinguished one candidate from another.

Agreed. The documents are only good for getting that interview. After that it is all about the interview, that makes or breaks it.

Archived