Premed 101 Forums

RE: Caribbean Medical School Admissions

Okay so I have 1 more semester remaining before completing by Biology Honours degree. My GPA is going to be approximately 3.0 and I am expecting my MCAT to be ~30-33 based on practise MCAT tests. This would definitely put me at a solid chance of being approved by the "Big 4".

HOWEVER, I have taken Organic Chem twice now and the first time I was an idiot and didn't even attempt writing the final exam as I was poorly prepared so I retook it in the summer and because I was working at the same time (while also taking 2 more courses on top of that....) I ended up with a "Marginal Fail". In addition, I don't think I am able to secure any Scientific Letters of Recommendation but I will definitely be able to come up with 3 work/volunteer-related ones. It would be ideal if I was able to start Med School in January.

My question is how strict are the "big 4" in their evaluation. I have taken a full year of Biochemistry and also 1/2 year of Molecular Biology in addition to a slew of other higher year Biology courses; this past semester I was also able to get straight As in difficult courses. Would my lack of Organic Chemistry/Professor letter of recommendation severely hinder my chances?

Archived