Premed 101 Forums

Location of the branch for LOC matter?

I currently live in Waterloo (and my parents live here as well) but will be going to med school at Western in London. I'm planning on getting a LOC from Scotia bank. Does it matter whether i get it from a branch in Waterloo vs London (assuming they give me the same exact terms)?

Nope it doesnt

except the one in London will actually know how to do the LOC properly. In general it is better to get one at a branch where they have that knowledge - now Waterloo has a branch office of McMaster so that could be true. Sometimes you get weird stuff when you get an uninformed bank employee with LOCs.

In any case you can always contact the one in London to forward the paperwork to Waterloo (like they did for me) if you are concerned.

I originally set it up with Scotia Ottawa but did the signing in Toronto. Upon setting up my account, it was immediately closed (credit cards, and LOC) within the next few days. They had to re-open all my accounts which took another 1-2 weeks and ended up setting my home branch as Toronto.

They said this was a rare case and the mix up and closure of accounts should not have occurred.

except the one in London will actually know how to do the LOC properly. In general it is better to get one at a branch where they have that knowledge - now Waterloo has a branch office of McMaster so that could be true. Sometimes you get weird stuff when you get an uninformed bank employee with LOCs.

In any case you can always contact the one in London to forward the paperwork to Waterloo (like they did for me) if you are concerned.

Ya I agree that sometimes certain bank employees at some bank branches don't understand the relatively simple process of opening an LOC for a Canadian med student. The rep at the TD branch I went to for my LOC for some reason insisted I get a cosigner and informed me I wasn't going to get approved for one without it. I told her I was certain I didn't need one and told her to put the application through anyway and just wait to see what the credit center says. Shut her up when i got approved 2 days later lol (Likely has never dealt with opening an LOC for a canadian med student before). All in all though, it wasn't too much of a hassle.

I lived in Waterloo the year before I started med school. There was absolutely no problem setting up my LOC at the Uptown BMO location, even though my home branch was (and remains) in my NS hometown.

Archived