Premed 101 Forums

Internal Medicine

Hey

I will be starting first year med this month. I am interested in exploring internal medicine. I know it's a long ways off, I figured the earlier you know if you like or dont like something before clerkships/electives, the better it is in terms of planning your clerkships in 3rd year (location/school/area to focus on). I was just wondering, for someone who wants to get more experience to see if internal medicine is something i could see myself in and also get into a top school for residency , what kind of activities would you guys recoomend in the summers after year 1 and 2? should I do clinical research in internal med? is there any foundations to apply to what may allow med students some exposure in the hospital? cold call various hospitals to see if they will let me shadow (although Im not really sure how to go about this because most doctors are busy and wouldnt want someone tagging along unless it was set up by the program or school? i dont really have connections or anything so what's the best way to build up connections?.... sorry if these are stupid questions, im a bit new to all this

Well, that's a different question - usually people check out various locations as part of their clerkship electives, once they have an idea of what interests them. People may also try to arrange preclerkship electives in locations of particular interest, such as their hometown where they are spending the summer.

If you are still at the point of deciding whether you like internal medicine enough to pursue it further, you should be able to do that at your home school (+ surrounding communities) without any problem.

i would prefer to spend the summer elsewhere because that's where I would like to do my residency eventually and it's closer to my family. Anyway, if anyone can offer me any advice on my original post, (RE: what would be the best activities to do to build connections and to see if I like internal med) I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Archived