Premed 101 Forums

Licensing exams

Hey guys, what exams do students have to pass in Canada in order to get a license to practice medicine? Is there a limit to number of attempts? I've heard the states has a maximum of 6 attempts to pass 4 exams.

ahh lets see - there is the

Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part I

Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part II

and then what every College level final exam you need to take which would vary by specialty.

There are some limits as well - for instance the internal medicine National Assessment Collaboration exam can be written a max of 3 times - although I am not sure if there is a limit on the other ones.

ahh lets see - there is the

Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part I

Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part II

and then what every College level final exam you need to take which would vary by specialty.

There are some limits as well - for instance the internal medicine National Assessment Collaboration exam can be written a max of 3 times - although I am not sure if there is a limit on the other ones.

I researched it a little and there seems to be no limit to the number of times you can write the exams. It's rather disturbing if you think about it. I wouldn't want a doctor who failed 5 times to be treating people if I were in power.

I researched it a little and there seems to be no limit to the number of times you can write the exams. It's rather disturbing if you think about it. I wouldn't want a doctor who failed 5 times to be treating people if I were in power.

Reassuring for future docs; disturbing for (future) patients ;)

At least they would have passed once. It's the same as a driving test almost: everybody will eventually have to pass, it's just the number of tries. :)

Archived