Premed 101 Forums

Trends in GPA cutoffs

Almost all cutoffs (for all health profession programs) show an upward trend year to year, with no sign of stabilizing (def not dipping). Why?

In addition to

- maybe fewer spots being offered (which seems unlikely, looks like many programs expand intake if/when they can, for the bucks)

- just a bigger pool of applicants,

at least one reason unis are able to raise cutoffs is that students are achieving higher grades. What's the consensus explanation for this? Grade inflation? Wider use of nootropics, lol? Is it even possible that cohorts could genuinely improve in academic ability/achievement from year to year, so consistently, across fields and feeder programs?

At least for U of A and U of C, it's b/c seats are decreasing b/c budget cuts. Dunno about other provinces. Also, medical schools don't make money from tuition. Tuition is subsidized by government (some ppl will disagree w/ me in calling it a subsidy but gov is spending money)

Almost all cutoffs (for all health profession programs) show an upward trend year to year, with no sign of stabilizing (def not dipping). Why?

In addition to

- maybe fewer spots being offered (which seems unlikely, looks like many programs expand intake if/when they can, for the bucks)

- just a bigger pool of applicants,

at least one reason unis are able to raise cutoffs is that students are achieving higher grades. What's the consensus explanation for this? Grade inflation? Wider use of nootropics, lol? Is it even possible that cohorts could genuinely improve in academic ability/achievement from year to year, so consistently, across fields and feeder programs?

which ones are you referring too? I know open this is an ontario bias but Western cut offs have been stable for years and even dropped the GPA one 3 years ago. Queens hasn't been particularly obvious in any adjustment and Ottawa only moved their one up a bit on the GPA side (although any change can be a mountain if you are below it. Overall things seem relatively stable.

which ones are you referring too? I know open this is an ontario bias but Western cut offs have been stable for years and even dropped the GPA one 3 years ago. Queens hasn't been particularly obvious in any adjustment and Ottawa only moved their one up a bit on the GPA side (although any change can be a mountain if you are below it. Overall things seem relatively stable.

Sorry, not specifically talking about med school, had assumed that might be true there. I guess I'm mostly talking about PT, OT, & psych. The grades on entry, according to admissions stats I've seen for those, have seemed to inch perennially upwards.

My hypothesis (though I really have no evidence to back it) is that in this unstable economy, students are more drawn to careers in the health professions which are seen to be more recession-resistant, relative to careers in the commercial sector. And of course a larger applicant pool means that schools have the ability to be more selective in those they enroll.

Archived