Premed 101 Forums

• 2 weeks later...

To further this thread a bit, what is the best strategy with Calgary's Part III on the LORs? It asks for personality traits that might hinder the applicant's ability to be an (advocate, manager, collaborator).

Should this best be left blank by our referees, or is it best to brainstorm the old "things that sound like weaknesses but really aren't" and put a positive spin on some strong character trait?

not to hijack the thread, but looking for some insight:

advocate

manager

collaborator

what are people using for these referees? I don't have 'managerial' experience.. except in the odd course group work setting >_< and a brief stint as a facilitator

for advocate - would a community reference be okay?

not to hijack the thread, but looking for some insight:

advocate

manager

collaborator

what are people using for these referees? I don't have 'managerial' experience.. except in the odd course group work setting >_< and a brief stint as a facilitator

for advocate - would a community reference be okay?

Supposing the person you select can speak to that ability with some authority, it should be ok. I don't think you need to have 'traditional' managerial experience, but rather they seem to be looking for your reference to speak to those qualities in you. For example, if you've done a major project that involves lots of research and leadership with others, that would be a reasonable thing for the referee to focus on.

What's your volunteer XP like?

Supposing the person you select can speak to that ability with some authority, it should be ok. I don't think you need to have 'traditional' managerial experience, but rather they seem to be looking for your reference to speak to those qualities in you. For example, if you've done a major project that involves lots of research and leadership with others, that would be a reasonable thing for the referee to focus on.

What's your volunteer XP like?

thanks.

vol - tutoring / mentoring at-risk/low-income/new-immigrant which is why I was thinking 'advocate'/community oriented would work? :|

-hospital.

-lab (collaborator reference)

I don't think they expect you to have managerial experience in the literal sense, but they would like a reference to comment on your aptitude for "organizing sustainable practices, making decisions about allocating resources, and contributing to the effectiveness of the healthcare system." They also mention "time management and leadership skills."

For this reference I am using my manager from my job as a CSR at a biotech company. I was not a manager by any means. However, it was a busy workplace so effective time management and multitasking were important, I served on some committees to revitalize policies and procedures, and trained and mentored more junior employees showing leadership ability.

If you have ever had a summer job or anything of that sort, perhaps your supervisor could also speak to these aptitudes. It never hurts to think outside of the hospital/research box when it comes to references.

I am confused about the LORs - do they have to be mailed (post) ... or do referees just e-mail the replies back? :confused:

it seems there should be a little flexibility to the Oct 1 deadline if referees have to post the reference forms...

You enter their contact info into UCAN, and then once that is complete, there is a link that will send your referees an email that is invites them to enter their answers to the questions on UCAN. Once they are done, it will show up on your UCAN that they have completed their reference.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my questions pertains to LORs.

All of my 3 referees have submitted their letters of reference on the UCAN app. But under "received date" in the App Status tab, they are all empty.

My transcript on the other hand is "received".

Is anyone else on the same boat? Has anyone here has a "received date" filled for one of their referees?

Thank you,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but my questions pertains to LORs.

All of my 3 referees have submitted their letters of reference on the UCAN app. But under "received date" in the App Status tab, they are all empty.

My transcript on the other hand is "received".

Is anyone else on the same boat? Has anyone here has a "received date" filled for one of their referees?

Thank you,

This means that none of them have submitted a letter yet. It's just showing who you sent the requests to.

having trouble thinking of weaknesses for advocacy..

I wish Calgary wouldn't ask these weaknesses questions, I feel like my referees would leave it blank/make a comment about no weaknesses, if I don't think up something for them :(

Who are your references? Some of them probably know what to do as a matter of course, others probably need to be 'counseled' a bit on what to do with those boxes.

Who are your references? Some of them probably know what to do as a matter of course, others probably need to be 'counseled' a bit on what to do with those boxes.

for the advocacy - using program coordinator for tutoring/mentoring/counselling at-risk youth.

I am not quite sure what a weakness would be .. that I could suggest they elaborate / touch on.

for the advocacy - using program coordinator for tutoring/mentoring/counselling at-risk youth.

I am not quite sure what a weakness would be .. that I could suggest they elaborate / touch on.

As someone suggested to me: we all have things we can work on...

So you're not perfect in all areas, but that doesn't disqualify you from med. So perhaps pick something that you shouldn't be expected to be perfect at and that you are working to improve on...

As someone suggested to me: we all have things we can work on...

So you're not perfect in all areas, but that doesn't disqualify you from med. So perhaps pick something that you shouldn't be expected to be perfect at and that you are working to improve on...

Oh lol I KNOW I am not perfect in all areas. .. I am so far away from perfect... I might be a dot on the horizon.

I just meant, I couldn't think of a weakness that could connect to the advocacy skills..I tried to think of opposites of skills needed for advocacy

for e.g. for the collaboration LOR - I suggested to my referee to mention that I don't voice (new/alternate) thoughts/opinions easily to groups, and instead discuss them one-on-one.

Archived