Premed 101 Forums

Fresh Start? Any hope?

stadream

Greetings,

I have screwed up my undergrad real bad. Three years, 19 courses of which I dropped 7 and a GPA of 3.29. That was the result of uncertainty, anxiety and being away from family and home for a very long time. I am taking some time off now to reflect and try to figure things out. Now I'm wondering is there any hope for me when I go back to school? Or should I apply to a different university with my high school grades to get rid of my bad performance?

I really appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks

I have screwed up my undergrad real bad. Three years, 19 courses of which I dropped 7 and a GPA of 3.29. That was the result of uncertainty, anxiety and being away from family and home for a very long time. I am taking some time off now to reflect and try to figure things out. Now I'm wondering is there any hope for me when I go back to school? Or should I apply to a different university with my high school grades to get rid of my bad performance?

I'll let others make suggestions. My question is, even if you did start over, what makes you think things will be different?

Would you be able to post a year-by-year breakdown of your GPA? This would help some of the members here better assess your situation. Also, if you have taken the MCAT, please post your score with breakdown.

No MCAT written yet.

1st year A- A- B+ C A A A- A- W

2nd year W W W B+ B- C-

3rd year A W W W never went back in the winter semester

I know its really awful. I still have 28 courses to go for my undergrad and that will take another 3 years. Will they judge me based of the first three years even if I was to do amazing in the upcoming three? Or should i start all over if that is possible?

I know its really awful. I still have 28 courses to go for my undergrad and that will take another 3 years. Will they judge me based of the first three years even if I was to do amazing in the upcoming three? Or should i start all over if that is possible?

It's not really possible to start over. You can never wipe the slate clean, so to speak.

However, there are several schools that will only look at a certain combination of your years. Generally your last/best years or only the years from your latest degree.

So, while certain schools will always see your current marks no matter what, you do still have options. :)

No MCAT written yet.

1st year A- A- B+ C A A A- A- W

2nd year W W W B+ B- C-

3rd year A W W W never went back in the winter semester

I don’t see why you shouldn't complete your degree in the next 3 years, except if you find the field of study is not to your liking. In your reflection, did you find you were not invested or interested in what you were studying? If not, consider switching programs.

Even though you can’t really escape your first 3 years, as Exocytosis said, there are some schools that only look at your most recent 2 or 3 years. Look into schools like Queens, UWO, and Ottawa.

All that being said, it’s not going to be a walk in the park. The MCAT is yet another hurdle you’re going to have to overcome and you might find that emotional problems can hinder your performance.

That's is exactly what it was, I hated what I was studying. At the end of the first year I was really depressed and could not pick myself afterwards. Is it possible to apply for another university with only my high school grades? How is it possible for that university to know that I have previously attended another post-secondary institution? Also wouldn't medicine schools immediately disqualify me having took 6 years to finish my undergrad?

I'm pretty sure once you have completed one year of university you are considered a transfer student. Not sending in all transcripts is not advisable, as even if you don't get figured out right away, it can have huge consequences in the future. The 6 yrs to finish undergrad shouldn't cause any problems, just focus on doing well in the next three. The only case may be uwo and the 3/5 rule.

That's is exactly what it was, I hated what I was studying. At the end of the first year I was really depressed and could not pick myself afterwards. Is it possible to apply for another university with only my high school grades? How is it possible for that university to know that I have previously attended another post-secondary institution? Also wouldn't medicine schools immediately disqualify me having took 6 years to finish my undergrad?

I’m about to begin my second undergrad this fall, so I’ve gone through the process of applying to university all over again. I don’t know if you’re in Ontario, but here each University requires you send them a copy of your high school transcript as well as your previous University transcript. Beware that some universities have a minimum GPA requirement if you are applying as a transfer student (~2.7). If you’re given admission, they’ll grant you transfer credits corresponding to your undergrad courses.

As I’ve learned, you can’t expect to get all of your courses to transfer over. Also, all that shows up on your new university transcript is that you’ve been granted a transfer credit (no grade is shown). That’s where you can get some sort of ‘clean slate’.

I’m not 100% sure about the restriction on completing the degree in 6 years, it may vary from school to school. But since you said the subject matter was a major problem, it’s a no brainer you should look for a change. Have you found a program of study that interests you?

Don’t try to hide your university grades, it can only lead to more problems later on.

Taking off a year is a good thing. :)

You cannot hide your past and it stays with you. Transparency is required and deceit is not an option. When you return, you will need to achieve academic excellence with a full course load during the normal academic year. The number of years to attain your degree are unimportant and what happens as you move forward is what is important. I suggest that during your year off, you contribute to society by volunteering in areas of interest for you as you will develop and grow from such activities. Good luck. :)

Archived