Premed 101 Forums

2nd degree - UofT, Ryerson, York

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like many premed-ers are going to Ryerson and York to do their 2nd undergrad degrees?

Not to be blunt, but are these 2 schools actually easier to get a better GPA in? Is it really that difficult to get a 4.0 at UofT even if I work my butt off and know I can handle it academically? Anything else that's better about those schools? tuition fee?

Also, I wil be taking Life science courses in the Fall, and then hopefully switch into the Nutritional sciences program at UofT in the 2nd year (this is my 2nd undergrad degree btw). Anyone know of the level of difficulty of this program? I know the 1st year courses are all pretty similar to other BScH degrees. A little worried about Western's rules about taking courses ONLY for degree-granting years....

Thanks for your continued supports guys

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like many premed-ers are going to Ryerson and York to do their 2nd undergrad degrees?

Not to be blunt, but are these 2 schools actually easier to get a better GPA in? Is it really that difficult to get a 4.0 at UofT even if I work my butt off and know I can handle it academically? Anything else that's better about those schools? tuition fee?

Also, I wil be taking Life science courses in the Fall, and then hopefully switch into the Nutritional sciences program at UofT in the 2nd year (this is my 2nd undergrad degree btw). Anyone know of the level of difficulty of this program? I know the 1st year courses are all pretty similar to other BScH degrees. A little worried about Western's rules about taking courses ONLY for degree-granting years....

If you will be switching into U of T's nutritional science program in 2nd year, why not just start out 1st year at U of T?

You might run into troubles of transferring credits, since U of T isn't the best at recognizing transfer credits.

Regarding difficulty, I cannot really comment on this since I have only attended U of T for my UG. I managed to get 4.0 in all my years here.

I stayed away from U of T because I understood they graded on a curve. I don't know how true it is, but I couldn't afford the risk even in case it was true. Have taken courses at both Ryerson and York and have been graded fairly (no curve) and had excellent profs at both (but, kept my ear to the ground and heavily relied on ratemyprof to choose courses). Evening course availability was important to me; both offer that to a reasonable degree.

FYI: if you're looking at the nutritional sciences program for a potential back-up career as a registered dietitian then you should consider Ryerson as the Nutritional Sciences program offered by UofT is not accredited/recognized by Registered Dietitian's of Canada.

I missed the deadline to apply to the undergraduate program (back in March) so just applied as a non-degree student (have been told that I can 'switch' into the degree-granting program for 2014

If you will be switching into U of T's nutritional science program in 2nd year, why not just start out 1st year at U of T?

You might run into troubles of transferring credits, since U of T isn't the best at recognizing transfer credits.

Regarding difficulty, I cannot really comment on this since I have only attended U of T for my UG. I managed to get 4.0 in all my years here.

I spoke with an academic counsellor at UofT... they said they'll only transfer 5.0 (so 1 full year?) of courses from my previous undergrad degree...

which means... I'd have to do THREE years of 2nd undergrad at UofT to be eligible for Western med school (they require you to finish your 2nd degree if im not mistaken).

Does Ryerson or York let you transfer more than 5.0 credits over?

York transfers loads over, usually. Not sure why..At most places, you'd still have to complete at least 50% of your overall degree requirements to establish residency at the university, and probably a greater % than that of your major requirements. (Check with the Registrar pages of all the ones you're interested in to be sure of details)

I missed the deadline to apply to the undergraduate program (back in March) so just applied as a non-degree student (have been told that I can 'switch' into the degree-granting program for 2014

A degree at U of T is conferred based on the courses you complete, not based on when you enroll in it. This is why you can switch into a degree-granting program after 1 year.

Archived