Premed 101 Forums

Dress code for morning O-week events?

How should we be dressing for morning O-week events? Most of them seem like they are administrative/health and safety type events... so should we be dressed in professional clothes or are casual clothes ok?

Just starting thinking of this after seeing the Calgary O-week photos posted by MD Physician Services... some students are dressed very professionally while others aren't!

Sorry for the silly question, I just wanted to make sure :)

Business formal, it's important to make a positive first impression:rolleyes: . Go all out!

Personally,

I've worn nothing but t-shirt and jeans every non-clinical day since first day of O-week. It doesn't matter, nobody cares. Some people naturally dress up a little more than others on a day to day basis, I prefer the comfort of grub clothes.

Thanks for the replies everyone :) I think I'll just go with business casual to err on the side of caution and not stand out as too over or under-dressed!

I think that's a good idea! Also keep in mind that you can see how day 1 goes and adjust for the rest of the week. But should be fine :)

Business formal would imply a tie and jacket for guys - that is way too formal for these types of events I would say. Save that for the formal...

way too formal :)

you will learn there is quite the variety in dress among the medical students to the point that the school will let you know when something in particular is required.

At the UofC they specify 'formal business attire' on the first day of O-week, as you meet the Deans and get your composite photos taken. I'm sure each school does it differently, but you can't go wrong if you at least toss on some nicer items of clothing. Probably best not to arrive in sweatpants and a Cheetos stained t-shirt, what with first impressions and all that jazz haha. :)

At the UofC they specify 'formal business attire' on the first day of O-week, as you meet the Deans and get your composite photos taken. I'm sure each school does it differently, but you can't go wrong if you at least toss on some nicer items of clothing. Probably best not to arrive in sweatpants and a Cheetos stained t-shirt, what with first impressions and all that jazz haha. :)

Yeah, every school si different. U of T told us to wear casual clothes except on days during O-week when we will be taking a tour of our hospital locations and during the "dean's breakfast."

So for us U of t people- casual clothes the first day? welcome breakfast, bell ringers, sponsor fair, lunch etc?

I'll tell you this: they'll take a photo of you on the first day of o-week. This photo will follow you through all 4 years of medical school. This photo is officially attached to your file. Everytime your file is sent to tutors, PBL groups, ASCM groups, etc, this photo is printed on the top right corner. Many people in my class who didn't realize the significance of the photo wished they had advance notice to dress/look properly on the first day of o-week.

There you go.

I'll tell you this: they'll take a photo of you on the first day of o-week. This photo will follow you through all 4 years of medical school. This photo is officially attached to your file. Everytime your file is sent to tutors, PBL groups, ASCM groups, etc, this photo is printed on the top right corner. Many people in my class who didn't realize the significance of the photo wished they had advance notice to dress/look properly on the first day of o-week.

There you go.

The 1T6s didn't have their composite photos taken on the first day of orientation, so there's no guarantee it will be happen for the 1T7s.

Nothing in the "file". I wouldn't call it a file. It's just your picture, which is attached to any group list that is circulated to tutors so that they know who is who in a group. The picture also appears when they log in to submit their evaluations of you, so they can "see" who they are evaluating. Point is, the picture they take of you in first year, is used for the rest of your med school career for this purpose.

Nothing in the "file". I wouldn't call it a file. It's just your picture, which is attached to any group list that is circulated to tutors so that they know who is who in a group. The picture also appears when they log in to submit their evaluations of you, so they can "see" who they are evaluating. Point is, the picture they take of you in first year, is used for the rest of your med school career for this purpose.

Ahhh..makes sense. I though they used the photos given during the interview for your file?

omg worst picture ever!

And we 1T6's did have our pics taken on the first day of o-week, apparently they weren't good (we never saw them, but were told this by medsoc). Then we had pics taken again one day while in the anatomy lab (BAD idea). I didn't know the pics were going to follow us for the rest of the 4 years, until I saw them again and again in PBL and such :(

Ditto. But there is a "file" for every student as well, and this picture is in that file as well. However, they only send the picture along to tutors, PBL groups, etc - not your "file".

Regardless, I would dress sharp on first day of o-week in the event they do take this pic as they did for the 1T5s. Bring a change of clothes for the more casual events that take place in the afternoon.

omg worst picture ever!

And we 1T6's did have our pics taken on the first day of o-week, apparently they weren't good (we never saw them, but were told this by medsoc). Then we had pics taken again one day while in the anatomy lab (BAD idea). I didn't know the pics were going to follow us for the rest of the 4 years, until I saw them again and again in PBL and such :(

whoops! My bad! I remember you taking them during the first month and just assumed they nixed it during O-week because of the amount of time it took.

Consider yourselves warned 1T7s!

whoops! My bad! I remember you taking them during the first month and just assumed they nixed it during O-week because of the amount of time it took.

Consider yourselves warned 1T7s!

hahaha yeah they didn't really tell us what those photos were for (either time, although they gave us a fair enough heads up for the 2nd one) I wish I had known what they were for then would have primped up a bit hahaha.

Suffice to say, just look good all the time 1T7s!

Archived