Premed 101 Forums

Insight on American Grade Scales

DoctorS

Hey guys,

I posted on the thread for the AMCAS Grade Scales for Canadians ( http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20901 ) but I haven't gotten any responses so I was wondering if someone here could possibly help me out.

On the Grade Scale for my particular university, there is no C-, there is only a C and a C+. Therefore, if I were to get a C- in a prerequisite course, would it be rounded up to a C? The reason I am asking is because most American schools what you to have at least a C in all prereqs and if they convert my C- to a C I won't retake the course but if they leave it as a C-, I might have to retake it.

Thanks guys!

Hey guys,

I posted on the thread for the AMCAS Grade Scales for Canadians ( http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20901 ) but I haven't gotten any responses so I was wondering if someone here could possibly help me out.

On the Grade Scale for my particular university, there is no C-, there is only a C and a C+. Therefore, if I were to get a C- in a prerequisite course, would it be rounded up to a C? The reason I am asking is because most American schools what you to have at least a C in all prereqs and if they convert my C- to a C I won't retake the course but if they leave it as a C-, I might have to retake it.

Thanks guys!

It depends a little on the school you went to, but AFAIK Americans look at letter grades, so if you have no C- on your transcript you cannot have a C-.

p.s. if you read through the entire thread re: AMCAS in the American School section I bet you will find your answer (assuming you went to York, but even if you went to Manitoba the rules for York should apply).

*correction: the info. for York is on the first page.

It depends a little on the school you went to, but AFAIK Americans look at letter grades, so if you have no C- on your transcript you cannot have a C-.

p.s. if you read through the entire thread re: AMCAS in the American School section I bet you will find your answer (assuming you went to York, but even if you went to Manitoba the rules for York should apply).

*correction: the info. for York is on the first page.

So if I received a C- in a prerequisite course, would it appear as a C- to American schools or would they round it up to a C?

So if I received a C- in a prerequisite course, would it appear as a C- to American schools or would they round it up to a C?

What I am saying is that if there is no C- written on your transcript you will receive a C for the course. Therefore, 60 to 66 is considered a C so if you have 62 on your transcript but it says C beside the 62 then the prereq counts. At least that is how I understand the system. Check out the first page of this thread:

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20901

I assume you went to York or Manitoba.

What I am saying is that if there is no C- written on your transcript you will receive a C for the course. Therefore, 60 to 66 is considered a C so if you have 62 on your transcript but it says C beside the 62 then the prereq counts. At least that is how I understand the system. Check out the first page of this thread:

http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20901

I assume you went to York or Manitoba.

I think what DoctorS is saying is that their transcript does show a C-, but the AMCAS conversion scale doesn't have a corresponding mark for C- for their school.

I don't have any insight into the American system, though, so I can't offer any advice (sorry)

I think what DoctorS is saying is that their transcript does show a C-, but the AMCAS conversion scale doesn't have a corresponding mark for C- for their school.

I don't have any insight into the American system, though, so I can't offer any advice (sorry)

That's exactly what I was trying to ask :P

Sorry if I was unclear in the original post :o

That's exactly what I was trying to ask :P

Sorry if I was unclear in the original post :o

In that case it will likely count as a C-. I don't know for sure though. The scales posted for Canadian grades are not very helpful apparently and do not correspond to how AMCAS actually verifies grades.

Archived